The Things We Bury

~Winter's pov~

"...we grow stronger every day, while S.H.I.E.L.D. clings desperately to a world it no longer understands. We will rip it from your hands" Bakshi said.

"I've read the Hydra pamphlet, didn't your mother ever teach you, if you're gonna talk, say something" I told him.

"I could go back to being silent" He answered.

"Well, might as well if you have no thoughts of your own. I don't understand how you can work for someone so..."

"Call him evil all you want"

"No" I replied "I was gonna say boring, how can you follow Whitehall? He's sort of a milquetoasty middle management type, now, you, you've got that whole classic Bond villain thing going on, why not lead?"

"My time will come" He said "Like Whitehall, I worry about the long view"

"And I worry that you've been brainwashed. Did Whitehall pull an MK Ultra on you?"

"I'm not one of those fanatics that Hydra controls. D. Whitehall, a disciple of Red Skull, Hydra's founder, shared his vision. I'm part of a grand history. Cut off one head and two will-"

"Two grow back, yes" I finished "Hell, I'll hand you the sword if Whitehall's head will get you the gig"

"Whitehall will see your friends turned to stone, those that haven't already"

~Time Skip~

"So you think Bakshi was brainwashed?" Mack asked and passed me a water bottle.

"No. but let the idea drive him nuts for a while" I said opening the water bottle.

"Any Hydra member could've been, wouldn't know it" Bobbi replied, i nodded.

"Yes, that's true. Oh" Simmons said.

"Something Bakshi said, the language didn't feel right, called Whitehall a disciple of Red Skull. Weird choice he didn't say studied and shared his vision? That phrase, it's past tense and the wording feels..." I told them.

"Firsthand" May said, walking down the stairs off Coulson office, we turned to look at her.

"Yeah" I said "I think Bakshi slipped. Maybe Whitehall and Red Skull have some sort of connection"

"Sounds logical, other than the fact that Red Skull's been dead for over 70 years" Hunter pointed out, i rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, which us right around time that SSR recovered the Obelisk" Mack replied.

"Clearly, whatever Red Skull did to get the Obelisk influenced Whitehall. This used to be an SSR base before Fury restored it. It's full of SSR files" Simmons told us.

"Get on it. Like Coulson's been saying, know your enemies" May said, and she walked out so did Mack and Hunter.

~Time Skip~

"What's wrong? Having trouble figuring out Bakshi?" Hunter asked from the doorway.

"Bakshi? No. I have him pegged. Grew up on the street, probably Southall. Worked hard to refine his accent, still struggles with the T's. Parents weren't around, and got into petty crime. Military straightened him out till they sensed something off and washed him out. Ended up a private intelligence contractor" I replied.

"And you got all that from the eight words he said to you?" Hunter asked.

"No, that last part I checked on. I think that he crossed Whitehall as an enemy, and Whitehall gave Bakshi a second chance . his borderline personality disorder makes him overvalue certain relationships, thank Mom and Dad for that, and one glimmer of belief from an authority figure like Whitehall? Well, hail Hydra" I told him "The puzzle i'm working is Whitehall. Bakshi sees something in him that we don't"

...

"Tell me, your devotion to Whitehall. Based on fear or respect?" I asked Bakshi.

"My devotion goes far deeper than respect" He replied.

"Fear goes way deeper for sure" I added.

"That's not what i meant"

"You meant programming? I hear compliance will be rewarded" I said, he didn't say anything "No?" And he still didn't answer "So, what is it you're afraid of, huh? What horrible acts do you fear Whitehall will perform on you?"

"I wonder..." He said, glancing at one of the cameras "If your friends know the acts that you are capable of. How you got that very specific skill set? Do you fear their judgment? Should those details ever surface?"

"Fear of judgment. Perfectly said. You don't fear Whitehall. Your fear disappointing him. And let me tell you, he is going to be very disappointed to see that you gave him up" I said, ignoring what he said.

"I didn't give up anything" He responded.

"No" I said and put the file on the table. "You gave us everything. Whitehall's name, his Nazi adventured with Red Skull, his age" and i got up and walked behind him "Did you know he's hypertensive? We do, I know he gave you a second chance. Now, do you think he's gonna give you a third when you tell us how to kill him? You failed your boss, Mr. Bakshi. I know who Whitehall is. Question remains, what kind of a man are you?"

"A loyal one" He said, i hear something click and he slammed his head in the table and he fell on the floor, i bent down to him as he started foaming at the mouth, as i heard the door open and the laser thing go down.

"Cyanide? We checked him!" Hunter yelled.

"Capsule embedded in his cheekbone. You're not getting off that easy" I said.

~Time Skip~

"You ok?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah. What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing. Hell of a day" I rolled my eyes.

"Please 'don't hell of a day' me. What's wrong?"

"You pushed him a little hard, didn't you?" He asked "What did you think was gonna happen?"

"I miscalculated. I thought he was gonna talk" I said and started to walk away.

"You sure you weren't afraid he was gonna talk?" He asked, following me out "He's laying out all your dirty laundry, and suddenly you lay him out"

"You think I would do that?" I asked turning to look at him "I can't argue a man to suicide"

"Clearly, you've never been in an argument with yourself then" He told me "You had him right where you wanted him"

"What is it you wanna know, huh? I'll tell you" I replied.

"Doesn't matter what I ask. I can't trust the answer"

"Write that sentence down, hand it to your therapist, I have always been honest with you and you can't accept it, you search for lies"

"You're an elite spy, I'd be crazy not to! You know you've lied to me"

"This happens every time. We get closer, you get nervous!"

"We're not close! You just spent the day convincing a man he was brainwashed, I don't know where the angles end"

"With you!" I yelled, he looked a bit shocked at first and he stepped closer to me i was about to say something until he kissed me, I was shocked at first but then kissed him back.

(A/n

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes, Hope you enjoyed it!)

Word count:1159