A Life Earned

~Winter's pov~

"...time to panic yet?" Mack asked.

"Possibly. I've covered every square inch of this floor. No sign of Daisy" I told them.

"I don't like this" Coulson replied "She could be captured. She could-" but was cut off by Mack being zapped.

"You're not here to stand around and gossip" Grill spoke up.

"We were all talking. Why me?" Mack asked him.

"Cause you're bigger. Makes it funnier" He chuckled "Keep working! Big man downstairs is entertaining an intergalactic auction means that we have to provide more iron for Kasius to sell off. So we are working triple shifts" I rolled my eyes "Hey, I answer to the Fat Cat Blues, same as you. Only I have to go and explain to them why we are not meeting our quotas. So make sure we do by the end of today. Except you" looking at me. "You're with me"

...

"Guy's name is Gunner. Thinks he's a tough guy. Owes me a lot of tokens, i need you to rough him up" Grill told me.

"Oh...you need me to do what?" I asked.

"Beat his ass" He replied "Look, I got it on good authority that Gunner is waiting on a package from Level 35. Now, that's is a high-security, Kreepers-only technology floor. He's in debt to me and getting tech from the Blues? I don't like that"

"But you already got enforcers. Why do you need me to do it?" I asked.

"Well, I had Zev. He was a snake. Now he's roach food. And have you looked in a mirror, you're a bitch. Go be one"

~Time Skip~

"Yeah, I don't think you have a choice, Winter" Coulson told me "If we want to keep Grill off our backs"

"So we gotta go rough up this guy Gunner?" I asked "Yeah. makes as much sense as anything else in this place"

"Maybe you and Hunter can just talk to him. Avoid the all-out assault" Coulson suggested.

"Both of us?" Hunter asked.

"I'm already missing two agents, I'm going with Mack's philosophy that we stick together here"

"Finally" Mack said.

"As long as you're back before Grill, we should be fine, and it gets us an opportunity"

"Yeah, that's you and me" May told him.

"Yup, Grill just tipped us off to Level 35 Kree technology, we have to check that out" Coulson replied.

"We have no weapons, no intel"

"Well, I'm hoping Level 35 gets us an edge, or at least something that'll help us survive on the surface till we can find Virgil's radio pal"

"You got access to a secure floor?" I asked Coulson.

"No, but...I think I know a guy"

...

"Hey" Hunter said to Gunner following him into his room.

"Who- What are you..."

"Grill sent us" Hunter replied "He wants his money"

"Yeah? Screw Grill. I told him he'd get his money, and he will. He thinks you're gonna scare me?" He asked Hunter.

"I should. Because if I don't, she here will" Hunter said, nodding to me.

"Tell Grill to relax. I'm putting it together. No one wants any trouble"

"Good, then don't cause any 'cause I don't know what my friend will do"

"Your friend just needs to calm down" He said, I walked towards him, flinging the basket that Gunner had aside.

"Take it easy. Take it easy" I told him "Now, this package you're waiting for...you know we can make it disappear"

"What did you just say?" Gunner asked.

"I'm saying if you try anything it wouldn't be hard for us to go after this package of yours and make it so it never gets to you"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. You can't do that"

"Hey, things go missing all the time"

"I swear, I'll kill you" Gunner threatened. "What kind of a person makes a threat so low? You're sick"

"Just pay Grill, and no one will take your stuff" I told him.

"Winter" Hunter tried.

"But if you don't, we'll take that package and we'll throw it in the crushing mill" I told him.

"Winter, look" I looked down and saw all the baby stuff on the floor.

"Who threatens a child?" Gunner questioned "Who would threaten to tear a baby away from someone when the chance is so rare?"

"Sorry. I didn't know. I didn't see"

"Kids are scarce here, because of people like you who only understand violence and death! I hope you never get the privilege. You'd mess it up, anyway. People like you don't deserve a child" I punched him in the face.

"Winter!" I continued to punch him and then kneed him in the gut "Winter! No!" he fell to the floor, I punched him in the face again "Winter!" Hunter grabbed me and pulled me away from him.

"See?" Gunner muttered, I pushed Hunter off of me and stormed out.

...

"Hey. Are you ready to talk yet?" Hunter asked me.

"There's nothing to say" I replied.

"Winter..." He started.

"Hunter, I can't have kids" I told him. "Can't. And never will...In the Red Room where I was trained- where I was raised, um, they have a graduation ceremony. They sterilize you, it's efficient. One less thing to worry about, the one thing that might matter more than a mission...makes everything easier, even killing"

"Winter" He said and hugged me, I hugged him back and buried my head into his shoulder.

(A/n

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes, Hope you enjoyed it!)

Word count:921