Chapter 19

"haur sana kithe kithe apply kita?"( And sana ,where did you apply?",),"she asked Shehnaaz regarding her application to the universities in USA for her residency up there,changing the topic to an easier one

"Yeah I have applied to few.But I will apply for some more!' She answered back.

"Just a few days back I was talking to Sahib and he told me about Duke and California!", her aunt spoke in reference to some universities she had applied to.

"Yeah there was some confusion and i needed some help toh I called him up."

"Honestly pammi, kismet da pta ni.Lekin I so want both of them together. Sahib is a very pyara baccha. And saanu is just perfect for him.I so want them married one day!" She not only announced her desire ,but also a notion that it could happen.

"Sehnaaz I am so sure he'll keep you so happy!", she said holding her hands.

"I am also sure maami, but abhi there is a lot of time for anyone to get married to anyone.!"

"Ha gudiya! I know. When you were a little girl, you were so naughty. Ek dam toofan fir suddenly you changed and became so aloof.Then there at wedding I saw how you and Sahib danced together, how he kept you happy.I just wish that for you and for him too. You know, you are the daughter I don't have."her maami added.

"Saanu bag room ch lai ja!" Her dad called out. Shehnaaz's maternal uncle and aunt were staying with them for a few days.

"Hnji papa!",she nodded with a pleasant smile.

Shehnaaz picked her luggage from the corner in the living room, pulling it upstairs.She was visiting her home after over two years, and none of the things had changed.Well they hadn't changed anything since last twelve years.The same color of the walls.As she asceded the staircase, so did her memories. The very place had seen everything unfurl, the rooms ,the corners the backyard, the kitchen had memories, beautiful and horrifying, both.But somehow it had never turned into a  bitter place.

"Putt chheti chheti kar ,fresh ho k thhale Aajai",( child make it fast , get freshened up and then come back downstairs!"),her dad called out.The man hadn't talked to her in years.But that was a secret only the family knew just like a million others.

"Shehnaaz has changed so much, tuhanu yaad aa ki sharati hundi si...aj di sana no wekh k kin key sakda aa oh hi aa!",(.....do you remember how mischievous she used to be....sana of toady does not look like that sana)her maama ji said looking at the direction Shehnaaz had disappeared into.

"Hmm...bache bade hunde badal jande ne.(yeah....children change as they grow up!)I hope she's matured for good!",her dad added taking a sip from the glass of water placed in front."Hopefully she'll get admission for residency!Already kinna time faaltu zaaya ho gya ",he added referring to the colleges she had applied for residency program in USA.

"Chalo ki karna je ho gya ho gya...age rab Mehr kare!"( what to do, let by gones by gones . God will do better),her uncle added.

"Je aj Nirmal hudi ...oh wi doctor hundi, sade ghar de tino bachhe!"( had Nirmal been alive all three our children woulf have been doctors, ), her aunt said referring to the two sisters and their own son.

"Je Nirmal hundi ...te bada kuj alag hunda!' her dad said looking at Shehnaaz who had just walked back to the couch and sat along her maami placing her head onto her shoulder.
Her mother looked at her do that. A string broke in her heart. She wished it were her, who Shehnaaz could come back to.A mothers heart that had bled in ways too much.She closed her eyes and made a silent prayer. Waheguru take her away and keep her safe.

The Biasजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें