Modern AU Pt. 3

Would you look at that? Your new lab partner just so happened to be the ice king of the school. The richest, prickest, most condescending boy in class. Lucky you... 

Actually, yes. Lucky you. He was always a quiet one, yet he seemed to know everything. You've been keeping an eye on the boy ever since he came back two years ago. Of course, the only real interaction you've had with him was when your friend Elizabeth introduced you to her "darling cousin" as she put it. The two were such opposites, and that made you more and more curious about him. 

You were nosy, so this was the perfect chance to get to know more about the kid that always seemed to keep to himself. 

You've been lab partners for the past few months and you've since developed a habit of studying together at the library after school. You both started off doing science work, and after a half hour or so, you each eventually work on your other respective classes. Ironically, you got to know Ciel pretty well during this time. 

He didn't really talk about himself, but his personality shined through, and that's what counts. Or at least it started to after you gained the upper hand on him. It was like that one interaction gained you his respect, and after it, he was just a bit less cold to you than usual. 

~

"Ughh, I am so done with this class! Why does Mr. Michaelis give us so much hard work for Algebra!?" You groaned dramatically, shoving your head into your arms and casting your notebook aside. 

"Algebra?" Ciel scoffed obnoxiously, "That homework is easy, we practically learned it in grade school. I can't believe you're actually struggling with it." 

"Wh- don't act so high and mighty. You're only saying that because you don't have to do it." You scoffed back. He rolled his eye. "Really...? Really?! Fine, prove it," You passed your homework sheet over to him, "Show me how effortlessly you can do it." 

Ciel met your unwavering glare and accepted the challenge. He began to work on the problems, and you had to be careful not to smirk until he was faced away from you. Ooh, he was easy~ 

He was rude sometimes, sure, but there was something else about him. He was sarcastic but smart, and you've both been known to have some friendly banter because of it. This kinda felt like that... 

Ciel finished before you expected it, and you forgot to pay attention to his pace, getting distracted by just looking at him finish your homework with such concentration. It was so... cute? How seriously he worked and how he didn't even notice he fell into your trap. Ciel's eye was back on you before you knew it as if to cockily say "I told you so," and you had to quickly wipe the doting smile off your face and go back to petulance. You didn't think he saw it. 

"Oh... so I guess youcando algebra, but even you can't be cocky with exponents! Those are hard, and I mean hard for everybody!" You tried. You gave him the same doubtful look, a challenge in your eyes. When he maintained eye contact, however, you realized that he realized what you were trying to pull. Shoot, you suppose he caught your smile after all. 

You dropped the annoyed façade. You were found out, oh well. At least you got algebra homework out of it. You let out a chuckle, "Fool you once, shame on me. Fool you twice, shame on you, huh? And you're not one to be fooled." 

"...No, I'm not." Ciel quietly replied, calculative. You pulled a fast one on him. He... wasn't sure how to feel about that. Admiration? Challenged? There's been some real idiots that he's been forced to work group projects with, but maybe you wouldn't be nearly as unbearable as they were...