Chapter 7: Just once

3rd POV

Yesterday was a disaster, Maxine ended up sleeping late just thinking about it! She couldn't bring herself to look at him. If he started to tease her about it. Maxine wouldn't have the guts to fight back. Instead, she would have died from embarrassment.

When Maxine said she slept late, she REALLY slept late. It took her half the night to fall asleep. Trying to distract her lucid thoughts out of her dreams. Which was hard since Sebastian was RIGHT BY HER!

At first, Maxine didn't mind sharing the bed since this is the only bedroom in the house and it was a pretty large bed. She felt bad if he slept on the stone floor. Sebastian was hesitant at first but they ended up sharing the bed together.

(TIME PASSED)

The next day, Maxine ended up sleeping late, waking up at noon. She got up from bed walking to the main room feeling groggy. Her stomach growled loudly, feeling hungry after missing breakfast.

In the main room Sebastian sat at the table fixing his bone knife. He held a piece of fiber in his mouth. By the looks of it, Maxine saw that the wooden handle and the stone blade broke off. He used the plant fiber to tightly tie the parts together. His ears twitched as he heard her footsteps, turning his head to look her way.

When he heard her stomach growl for the second time. He got up and stopped what he was doing. Going straight to the kitchen to reheat some food he made earlier. Maxine sat at the table next to where he sat, patiently waiting for the food.

Maxine saw him scooped up a portion of the leftover soup into a bowl. She smelt pork coming from the soup. She thought that it must be the boar he hunted several days ago as it didn't rot. Since she taught him ways to preserve food longer by rubbing salt or by smoking it over fire. So that he doesn't have to go out and hunt everyday.

She knew that some of his prey he hunted days ago were in the cellar below. The days begin to get colder. Food and warm clothing were the top priority for them in order to survive. Maxine had to make sure they had enough resources for the two of them to survive. That includes medicine, fur, spices, and wood.

They stored many fruits, veggies, and other preservatives like jam, pickled goods, and olive oil. Maxine knows that in the cold season food will become scarce making it harder to survive. The harsh weather and freezing temperatures were one of the challenges during the cold season. Maxine heard that many beastmen died from starvation during the cold seasons, some would go out of their way to fight for resources even if it meant losing their lives.

As she was thinking, Sebastian handed Maxine the big bowl of hot soup. She shook her head and saw that the soup had chunks of pork, cabbage, carrots and onions. She thanked him and ate while he went back to repair his bone knife.

Maxine swears his cooking is getting better and better these days. She taught him some things about cooking and spices, but surprisingly he understood it. His cooking knowledge rapidly grew, making it gold star quality that is almost like her grandma's cooking.

After Maxine finished her late brunch, Sebastian told her the bathtub was done, which meant the bathroom was complete. She quickly opened the bathroom door and saw that the wooden bathtub was filled with hot water. She took off her clothes to dip in the warm tub.

When Maxine was done bathing, she changed into her blue sun dress. It was her favorite dress out of the rest, since it took her a whopping three days to make. Due to Sebastian giving Maxine a bunch of different colored fabrics and materials during her time in isolation. Her time at home was boring during isolation. But at least she had stuff to do that will be useful later on.