Chapter 12: Welcomed but not

(Chapter cover: instagram/#jinx #jin woojin)

Maxine POV

I've been searching for what feels like forever.. But I eventually found it!

"A wooden hair comb!" I shouted raising it up in the air

I can finally comb my hair properly without using my fingers. I can't believe that Lezon had a whole bunch in his wooden drawer, well he is going to sell them in the market as they were all handcrafted by him.

Looking around his house he had many wooden crafts like bowls, spoons, forks, and mugs. They were stacked up in boxes and drawers. However, just when I was looking around the door creaked as a shadowy figure came in right behind.

" Did you find the comb?"

" Yea, it's so pretty! Thank you! " I gleefully said, turning my head to see Lezon

" If it's pretty, take the whole box with you! It's a gift!" Lezon cheerful said but soon change his expression

"Actually, no! Don't carry it, you'll break your back! I'll tell Seb-"

" No.. No! One is good enough!" I said nervously smiling, waving my hands rejecting his offer

"Thank you so much for this though!" I smiled

I'm grateful to have met Lezon in this life, he is such a kind and giving person. His devotion to his work and people show how dedicated he is in helping people in need and to what he does.

Lezon is the most highly respected healer in the village as he helped many orcs in his time. Though he never had a mate, it didn't stop him from doing the things he wanted to do. That's what I respect him for, his dedication to work is endless.

One downside, he generally would pamper me like his own grandchildren. Don't get me wrong! I like how he treats me but sometimes I feel bad when he gives me so many gifts from time to time. I like the gifts but I didn't like the fact that he would spend his money or other resources just for me. He could have used it to benefit himself to his own needs.

There was this one time, Sebastian vaguely told me Lezon gave me many wine bottles as a gift during his visit and I drank them all in one night. He got very furious at Lezon for being careless, when I passed out drunk somewhere. I was shocked when I heard it for the first time, I tried to remember what happened but nothing popped up.

I asked him when that was but he gave me a blunt answer saying a long time ago. But also said he gave him a "Piece of his mind" for whatever that means.

As I was recalling the incident my mind began to wander somewhere else. " Are you going to visit that wolf again?" Lezon said, inquisitive as he look at me

"Huh?! How did he know? He must have read my mind, dammit! He and Sebastian are psychic! "

" y-yes.." I said stuttering

I was worried if Lezon disapproved of me visiting him from the many rumors around the village about him being the most hated beastman. He stays in the cave all day long, the only time he comes out is when he hunts.

They say that they can hear bizarre noises coming from his cave near here, and that they believe he is becoming a monster like the ones in the forest. When he fully becomes a monster they're going to drive him out of the village or kill him.

Personally, I don't believe in rumors! I see it to believe it. From what I heard about Raymond, I don't think he is a monster. It feels like he's in a difficult situation right now. The last time I saw him he was in serious pain as his wounds kept reappearing again like the first time we met.