Chapter 48: A shiver down my spine

(Chapter cover: Vincent Teh "haunted tree"/Redbubble)

Maxine POV

Today I was outside with my friends Eve and Jessica in the tulip fields. Where lots of flowers including the abundance of various colored tulips grow during spring. Alongside me I have brought Rowan, Raymond, and my cub Sam. Jessica and Eve had most of their males present as well as their bunny and tiger cubs running around the fields. Their cubs as well as my cub Sam played together.

Unfortunately, the rest of my family couldn't make it. Caius, who was a king, had busy schedules in the morning and would usually come back at noon. Sebby and my other cubs had to stay behind this morning. From yesterday, when Sean and Sage had an argument with their father. They had enough of him saying no. The father and son duo had an endless bickering on who was right. My two older cubs were like me when I was a kid. Once hearing the words "no" or even the death glares from their father coming their way they still were persistent. Being how they inherited their father's confidence and bravery.

Earlier this morning they took it one step ahead. When my cub Sam and I woke up we saw three jaguars covered in peanut butter. Sebby had a pissed off look growling at Sean and Sage who also were covered in peanut butter.

The story goes two cubs, Sean and Sage woke up early. Seeing that their daddy is not sleeping with their momma in bed and instead on the floor beside her. They laughed and whispered to each other on how they can be naughty. Their plan backfired when their bellies rumbled trying to wake their mommy since they were hungry. But waking her up failed. They went to the kitchen themselves to find some food to eat and then bring back to serve their sleeping family. Inside the kitchen unfortunately, they didn't know how to cook so they managed to find peanut butter on the counter. Eating it they were in love and being the toddlers they are. They smothered themselves in it bringing the big jar of peanut butter back to share with their sleeping family. Sean and Sage who came back held the big jar of peanuts together. They heard their daddy's stomach rumble and came forward trying to wake him up to eat some yummy peanut together. However, their daddy was in a deep sleep and he didn't notice his cubs beside him.

Instead their daddy shifted back to his beastmen form which he soon regret. When he shifted the cubs thinking that he wanted to eat, fed him using their hands. They had their small hand grab the peanut butter smothering it in his lips then onto his body. When seeing him tongue lick it while sleeping the two cubs laughed. Being the toddlers they are, their laughter turned into play and began spreading their hands filled with peanuts to his body. It was like applying sunscreen to the beach. But this time it was two cubs rubbing peanut butter all over his arms down to his feet with their small hands. When their daddy woke up his orange eyes saw nothing but Sean and Sage's body covered in peanut butter on top of him. Their shimmery pink eyes looked at him with a smile. The only thing he could do was growl seeing them and him covered in it.

Long story short they left early to scrub down the oily peanut out of their body.

"Momma, I hunt for you," Sam said.

When I sat down next to Eve and Jessica who had their cubs on their laps. My youngest cub Sam came running back to me in his beastkin form wearing his blue short overalls. When his small hands raised up. He handed me a dead black rabbit. It had deep bite marks on its neck.

"Awww, Thank you baby. You're so strong. Keep training with daddy and you might get strong just like him" I said.

I saw Sam's orange eyes gleam with his tail swishing in excitement. He had a gleeful smile in front of me that made me smile back at him.

"My little Sam is so cute!" I teased, patting the top of his fluffy brown hair.

Even if it was a dead bunny given as a gift I appreciate it either way. Thanks to Sebby who trained the cubs everyday his efforts paid off. As all my cubs including Sam knew how to hunt easy prey like birds and rabbits. Praising my cubs for their skills was my way to help motivate them to get stronger. Despite me wanting to spoil them like how mother's in Earth do with their kids. With many gifts and toys they want. This was not Earth, it was the beastworld. A harsh world filled with dangerous creatures.