🍋 Chapter 45: Bashful beast

(Chapter cover: from Pinterest/anime Itadakimasu)

Maxine POV

In the kitchen Axel was chopping the leftover fruits to make into a fruit salad. I walked towards him with my hands behind my back. When he was distracted in cutting and throwing away the fruit scraps. I carried something hidden behind his eyes. He didn't know what was coming to him...

I quickly pull it out right beside him.

"Ta da!"

"Here you go! I present to you my delicious strawberry shortcake! Do you like it?" I said with a smiling expression when presenting my creation at Axel's face.

What I held in my hands was a strawberry shortcake with multiple layers of cake, cream and slices of strawberry. The shortcake had soft cream at the top and big red strawberries laid out. Not only was it delicious, the presentation was on point. The cake had thin slices of strawberries and fruits around the cake.

Axel turned his head to me with his ruby eyes looking at the cake in front of him then to me. He mumbled before tasting the soft creamy cake. He swooned his face closer to the cake and took a bite at the strawberry nearest to him.

"Not bad.." He said biting it before eating the whole strawberry.

"Wow...." I thought.

My mouth went agape not recognizing that there was a hottie in my kitchen! Even though he was my friend I forgot he was a real hottie just like my mates. I almost drooled seeing his face up close. I saw him use his tongue to lick and brush the rest of the cream that landed on his lip.

"Eh?! Why is he looking at me like that?" I thought with a red bashful face.

Axel began licking his lips, his shimmery ruby eyes looked at me the entire time. I thought that I was just being delusional. But I saw his lips curved into a sly smirk. It could be my imagination since he was such a hottie and I was just imagining his handsome face in front of me. I don't believe he would feel that way about me. After all, he has not been interested in finding a mate since. I respect that Axel is free spirited and he has lots of freedom to do what he wants to do.

By the time Axel was done cleaning the cream out from his lips. I was still in a daze when seeing his ruby eyes looking at me. I didn't know why but I saw his face literally sparking before me. With the sun shining right in the center of him! I used my hand to cover his blinding face before me!

"Oi!" He shouted in my ear.

I woke up now in reality. Once he said those words my strawberry cake began wobbling since I had one hand holding to it. The cake wobbled and swayed back and forth from my shock and quickly the cake fell.

"Eh?! My cake!" I screamed trying to get a hold of it.

Luckily, Axel instantly caught the cake with both of his hands before it touched the ground. I breathed out a sigh of relief seeing my cake I effortlessly worked on was safe. He held onto the cake with both of his hands under. He wrapped it in the box making sure it was secured before we set out back to the garden.

When he was back chopping the rest of the strawberries left. I heard his small whisper through my ears. "Such a klutz" Axel murmured but I heard his whisper clearly in my ear.

"What! I am not a klutz!" I shouted in irritation.

"Yes, you are"

"I am not!" I said. I then used my left hand to pinch his right cheek while he was focusing on chopping the fruits in half.