Not Luna Material

Max's POV

Max's POV

Ares' bright smile was contagious, and he asked. "What is your name, beautiful?" She was very pale and looked shocked. I heard her low voice after a minute or two of waiting. "It is Julie."

Ares' happiness flooded my body, and he lowered my head to the crook of her neck, inhaling her intoxicating scent. She smelt like salted caramel chocolate cake, clouding my thoughts. I knew I needed to leave, and with much difficulty, I took back control and ran to the back entrance. I needed to go for a run to clear my mind and figure out what to do. That girl was not what I expected my mate would be.

I shifted mid-air as soon as I got outside, ripped my sweatpants and sprinted away from her scent. "What are you doing, Max? We must go back to our mate. We found her, man." Ares started to laugh and howled happily. "I told you I wasn't going crazy, and she was here. Come, buddy, let's get our little wolf and invite her for a night run."

I could not talk to Ares. I knew what he was going to say. I blocked our connection and ran as fast as my paws allowed me. I ran from one side to the other of Alpha Michael's territory and had never run that fast. Too much adrenaline was in my veins, and my mind was like a stormy day.

I had no idea what I would do with that girl, but I was confident she was no Luna material. She was sick and an Omega. We could not mate her. The problem was that Ares would not have it and would not like the conversation I would soon have with him. I will have to give him all the facts. She was weak and not suitable for our pack. After running nonstop, I noticed the sun was about to come up at any time, and I needed to act fast.

"Terry, wake up. I need you to meet me in the back and bring sweatpants for me, please." Whining throughout the mindlink, he said. "I'll be down in a minute." I knew he hated it when I woke him up, but I did not care. I had more important matters on my hands now.

I took a long whiff and followed her scent. It had fainted from the back door. Anyone would not notice it, but now that I knew her scent, it was imprinted on my soul, and I could find her anywhere with even less than this faint smell.

I started to track it. I had to know where she was before talking to Terry. She had not given Ares her full name, but I was in no mood to speak to Alpha Michael about her and explain that she was my mate. I did not know yet what to do with her.

Her scent brought me to a rundown dark shed in the back of the pack house. Her scent was all over the place and it was strong. I was sure she lived there. I was disgusted with Alpha Michael and wanted nothing more than to go to him and rip his head off. How is he allowing a member of his pack, Omega or not, to live in a place like that?

I ran back to the pack house, and as I thought, Terry was waiting for me, pants in hand. "What happened to you? It is 5:00 in the morning, Max. I went to bed very late. Is Ares annoying you that much?"