Regret

Max's POV

Max's POV

I was having a drink in my office, trying not to think about her. I did not do anything last night to hurt her. I did not even think it would hurt her. I needed to get her out of my thoughts. But Terry is right. I need to decide, and I will stay away from her. Tania is best for the pack.

This morning I had opened the notes doctor Paul gave me when she arrived. She only got her wolf at sixteen and has not shifted since then. Without proper training, she cannot be a Luna. I will talk to Paul first to see if it is already safe for me to reject her and then Ares. I do not want what happened last night to happen again.

The little wolf does not deserve to suffer because I am trying to forget her. I am a great Alpha, and I do not hurt innocent people. I provide for them. I was lost in my thoughts when I noticed my father trying to get my attention.

"What is going on, son? I've been calling you for more than five minutes. Is this about this Alliance?" If only he knew why I was distracted and could no longer get my thoughts in order. "Your mother is having tea with Tania. She invited herself, and I don't have to tell you your mother isn't happy about it." He did not change his expression, but I could see he was not happy about that either.

"I'm trying to do what is best for the pack, father. Nobody is lucky like you to find his mate on the same day they got their wolves." He took a drink from the bar cart. "Yes, Max. But let me remind you that I was older than her and had to wait three years till she got her wolf to approach her as a mate. And do you think those three years were a walk in the park with my wolf constantly nagging on my head, not understanding pack laws?"

He took a seat beside me. "Your mother thinks you should wait a little longer and travel more. Also, throw more balls here. Inviting other pack generations will generate more opportunities for you to find your fated mate. Maybe your mate is younger than you, and Ares didn't sense her before, and now that she has her wolf, he will be able to feel and smell her. I only found your mother early because I looked into her eyes."

When my mother finds out my mate is locked on my wing, she will never forgive me. My father is right, I had been to the Woodland Pack before, and Ares did not sense her. "Tania will be good for the pack, father." I looked into his eyes, trying to convince him, but sure I was saying those words to myself.

He gave me a stern look. "Max. The mate must first be good to you for the pack to benefit. Not the other way around. Her wolf must be good to Ares. It's very dangerous if you and Ares aren't on the same page. Ares likes wars. He is vicious, and not having the right mate by his side can complicate things."

He patted my knee. "I heard the warriors are on high alert. Is that because of Ares? Doesn't he want this?" Damnit, Terry, putting those warriors on alert. "Ares wants his mate, father. I am not sure if I can give him that" He raised an eyebrow. "I guess you already found her?" No use in denying it. I just nodded.