Welcome to the World

Max POV

Max POV

I woke up before dawn, and Ares was already restless inside me. Every day he wanted to hunt early morning before our mate was awake. His sense of provider was even more prominent now that she was carrying the pups.

I looked at her side with my wolf eyes, and Julie slept peacefully, knowing nothing could hurt her. I sniffed the air sucking in her scent before I left and rubbed her enormous belly. The pups would be arriving any day now.

With a good feeling inside me, I walked barefoot to the back entrance and shifted quickly, letting Ares take over. "Go on, you beast. You better get your biggest prey today. You woke me up earlier than usual." But I knew something was up with Ares. He was restless the whole night.

He had started the run towards the forest, and I could feel his confused mind. "I feel something, Kid. But I don't know what it is yet."

"Are you feeling any danger coming, Ares?" Everything was great at the pack now, and the last thing we needed was any surprises. "Last time you went restless like that, it was not good news."

Ares pushed fast deep into the forest. There was where we would find the best meal. "No! I cannot feel any danger, Max. I cannot explain the feeling. But I have an instinct we will find out soon enough." I felt relieved that it was not the danger he was feeling. Anything else we could live with.

Ares sniffed the air, and there was a stag nearby, and I hoped it was a big one. Ares went for the kill, and it was the biggest we had seen. The Omegas in the kitchen would be happy.

After killing it, Ares shifted to human as we went hunt alone; he would not be able to carry it in wolf form. Halfway home, I felt joy inside me. Ares dropped the stag on the ground, shifted back to a wolf, looked up and howled at the still-dark sky.

The sun was yet to start to rise, and it was the happiest howl I had heard and felt from him. "It is time, kid. I can feel the pups calling for me." He left the meal behind and ran back to the pack house so fast that the ground shook every time his pawls hit it. I laughed in his mind. That was the reason for him to be so restless. The pups are coming into our world.

When we returned to the house, I shifted back and was pleased that Ares did not stay in control. He knew I would be more helpful to Julie than him. I put on the sweatpants I found on the pile and stormed upstairs to our room.

Julie was already awake and looked at me, frowning in pain. "I think it is time, Max. They are pushing inside me."

I helped her to sit on the bed and pulled her hair back from her face. "I know, my little wolf. Ares felt it and ran as fast as he could."

Julie wanted the pups to be born at the pack hospital, and I carried her downstairs to the car. Many people were awake downstairs. They must have heard Ares' howls of happiness and knew what that meant. The arrival of the new Alphas.