Chapter Two.

Ric's POV

"Amatto!" A deep voice shouts from the entrance of the locker room.

"Yeah?" I call out, while tossing my shirt over my head, fixing it.

Aj, one of Mr. Matteo's guys, turns the corner rushing into the room, concern written all over his face.

"Dude" he pants while he leans against the lockers as I continue to get dressed.

I had just finished my knife training about an hour ago and was still in the warehouse changing because perusal I decided to shower here rather than at home. I hated being there for so long, I hate being alone nowadays, afraid of falling back into my head, afraid of falling back down.

"Y-you gotta go, you gotta get the fuck out of here."

I frown mentally shaking off the familiar unwelcoming feeling, "the hell are you talking about, Bejarano?"

"The boss," he continued to catch his breath. "The kid messed up- he's in a bad mood again."

I deepen my frown almost immediately, confused, "Nicco?"

He nods his head, his features turning completely serious, "they're putting him in the ring."

Fuck.

Chills instantly begin to run up my spine.

The last time anyones ever been in the ring, on the mats, was the night that I got the living shit beat out of me; initiation night.

Guys only ever get thrown in the ring to be made examples out of because they either pissed the boss off or Dominic, or they genuinely fucked up and Mr. Matteo needs some entertainment before putting an end to them.

Carmelo leaves little room for mistakes, especially nowadays since his son and new daughter in law are gone.

He's been overworking us to death practically with the new security team that he's bringing into play for his family, especially for red.

It was Isaac's one and only condition, which makes sense after everything they've been through, everything Reds endured, but having his son so far away from him has definitely made the boss the worst person to be around.

Mr. Matteo was in a constant bad mood the second he stepped into the warehouse and even when he was gone the shitty mood projected into his top tier men and it continued to linger in the warehouse. I can't begin to imagine how much worse things would be should Red and Isaac choose to actually leave the state.

Normally when someone gets thrown into the mats they're usually fighting for their life's against one person and one person only to make it fair but I had another thing coming my way because I had personally pissed off the boss.

Pissed off is actually an understatement, I had done the unthinkable, I gave up on my family, I threw away my loyalty, my backbone for not sticking up for myself, for letting my father walk all over me, letting him meddle with my life.

Honestly, I didn't expect to come out alive that night when I heard how many guys I was going to have to go against. Not many people can survive rounds and rounds of getting beat especially when you're not supposed to fight back but at the same time you're also not allowed to bitch out.

Carmelo made it pretty clear hours before the big night that he was aware of Carmen, that if I fought back it would go way worse for my friend and then proceeded to show footage proof of the SUV's parked in her neighborhood.

He never once mentioned Carmen's name though, or her relationship to me, he simply kept referring her to as my little friend and tossed pictures of us together on campus, of us everywhere; it was pretty stupid of me to think I could hide her from him even if I was out.