Chapter Twenty Nine.

Isaac's POV

"You ready?" Beanie questions as he unlocks the door in front of him.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I confess.

"You got this kid, I'll be right out here if you need me."

I nod my head and Beans is pulling on the metal door, stepping to the side once it's completely open.

I walk around him and step into the dimly lit room to find my cousin sitting at the edge of the bed, his arms resting on his legs as he leans forward, his head hung low.

He's no longer in the trashy dirty clothes my men found him in, he no longer reeks of alcohol and death, his hairs no longer greasy. He's now in some light gray sweatpants and a black tank top, completely barefoot.

"How you feeling?" I asked, stepping closer towards him.

Nate looks up at me and the mere sight of his clean face gives me enough hope that he'll push through this and be alright. "My heads fucking pounding."

"Yeah Beans mentioned it's gonna feel like that for a while. You try eating anything yet?"

He shakes his head, "he has me on liquids only, what day is it?"

"Wednesday," I answered.

He sits up, "you promised I could see Jessica Monday."

I immediately began to smile, "I did."

"It's Wednesday," he snarls sourly,

"My trip got extended an extra day and I had something come up last night. I also said it depended on the state of your condition."

"Please, KP, I need to see her."

I crouched down to his level, placing my hand on his knee, "and you will, you remembering what I said alone is a good sign, Nate. I'm proud of you."

He looks up at me and frowns.

"For not giving up when it got tough, for pushing through," I say. "Beans explained just how hard withdrawals can hit, it's mainly why he had to chain you up, so you wouldn't continue to hurt yourself," I point to his busted up, bruised knuckles.

He looks down, opening and closing his hand a couple times, shaking his head, "I don't remember doing this, any of it."

"I know, it's okay," I pat my hand on his knee. "All that matters is we're moving in the right direction, we're moving forward."

"How long have I been down here?"

"Almost two weeks."

"Two weeks?!" He exclaims. "Why do I feel like it's only been a few days?!"

"Because that's what drugs do man, they keep you numb. You were high off of your ass or coming down from the intoxication the first few days. The day I came to see you, that was the very first day you were alert and not so disoriented."

A single tear streams down his face as he looks over at me, "I'm so sorry, KP."

"Don't worry about it, I'm just glad to have my cousin back."

He continues to shake his head, "I shouldn't have tried to blame you, I was such an asshole."

"Pain changes people, Nate. It's water under the bridge brother."

He nods and is looking off to the ground again.

"Let's get you out of here man, there's a lot you've missed out on that we need to catch up on."