Chapter Fourteen.

Isaac's POV

"Hey," Hailey continues to softly run her hand up and down my back. I'm currently slouched over sitting in the chair that's right beside hers. "We should go check on your mom."

I nod my head and sit up straight, staring back in front of me at the black coffin that has numerous flower arrangements on top of it.

I inhale a deep subtle breath through my nose as my chest continues to get tight with each second that passes by.

I was fine, I was doing okay today, I had managed to drag myself out of bed without feeling an ounce of sadness this morning.

That's actually a lie.

I woke up feeling completely numb today and I immediately welcomed the feeling, it was better than the alternative.

I've never felt so mentally exhausted in my entire life, I've done absolutely nothing but catch up on my fathers paperwork and feel like I've been hit by a damn train and dragged down the train tracks.

Between taking care of my mother, Hailey, and The family, I've had very little time to unwind for myself. I've even considered smoking weed a couple times to get a good night's rest, but I don't want to pick up nasty habits again, especially not now with my son on the way.

Unfortunately the numbness didn't last very long, it instantly evaporated the second my fathers service started and my mom began to break down next to me and my long friend-anger quickly took its place.

I wasn't exactly sad anymore, being taught to push down my emotions; the feeling didn't linger too long. I mean don't get me wrong a part of me was still torn apart from losing my father, but now- now I was just angry and I plan on clinging onto that emotion as long as I could because the second the pain came it would be game over for me.

I've still haven't really had any time to actually grieve my fathers death, I have allowed myself to really sink in because I can't keep myself down in the dumps when I had an entire empire to run, a family to take care

So of course I choose to be angry.

Angry that my dad could even have the audacity to give up fighting and leave his wife behind. Angry that he decided to leave us before he could even meet his own grandson. Angry that he was stupid enough to know not that Cris Roxwell was going to double cross him, I mean why wouldn't he? Cris had every reason to, Pops had taken out his own father and felt the least remorse while admitting it.

I of course didn't actually have any real evidence that connected the ambush to Roxwell, but I wouldn't put it past him.

How else would they have known our exact location? Why else would he be so persistent that we go to him? How the hell did they know that he was in his own car and not in one of the SUV's. Pops would've known if we were being tailed. Everything happened so suddenly that it still doesn't make sense, something still didn't feel right, he was always one step ahead of everyone but here we were still, sitting in front of my dead fathers casket.

"Stop," Hailey whispers as she places her hand in mine, squeezing it. "Whatever you're thinking please stop."

I nod and squeeze her hand in return, "you ready?"

She leans in, placing her chin on my arm. She looks up at me and she smiles softly but I see the exhaustion behind her eyes, we're all tired. "Only if you are."

I nod and lean down to place a kiss on her forehead, "come on, lets go get you some lunch, your dad leave yet?"

She nods, "he texted saying something came up at work, to let him know when you're ready."