Part 37: The Beginning Of The End

Timeskip

Back in the Colosseum, people are back in the stands cheering and ready for entertainment as Ruby and Y/n descend down the steps to an open seat. Despite everything that's happened, she's smiling widely, looking around at the assembled crowds... until her stupefied eyes see a familiar, glaring face on the other side of the arena.

Ruby: Emerald's... here?

Y/n: Wait.. What!?

As if sensing she's being watched, Emerald leans forward to glare at Ruby, who suddenly gets up with a worried expression while Y/n has one of anger becuase of being deceived. They both ran towards the exit tunnel. Checking to see if no one's around, she enters a door labeled with a yellow maintenance sign and finds themselves inside of the Colosseum.

Y/n: Cmon! Quick Ruby.

They walks forward with determination as the announcers' voices are heard, muffled behind the brick walls.

Oobleck: All right, it's now time to begin the randomization process for our next fight!
The sound of the roulette is heard faintly, but what makes Ruby stop in her tracks is the sight of another unexpected "friend" stepping out from a nearby tunnel, completely unharmed and definitely not going home.

Ruby: (squinting as if making sure) Mercury?

Y/n: I knew I couldn't trust you! You liar! I'll break your legs for real.

Port: It looks like our first contender is... Penny Polendina from Atlas...

Ruby: (her attention goes from the broadcast to the fraud) What are you doing?

Y/n: Let's just (looks back) Where the hell did that door go!?

Y/n: Ruby! Use your speed to get to the stadium! I'll hold him off.

She nodded with a determined look. We both put distance between ourselves giving as much space as possible.

Mercury: I'm afraid I cant allow that. Bosses orders.

Y/n: Ruby. (She turns to him) Heres my scythe. Try to use it and get away. (Throws scythe)

Ruby: Okay! But what about you-

Y/n: Dont worry about me! Just make sure Penny makes it out alive!

Ruby: O-Okay! I promise she will.

In the back of my mind I knew I didn't have a good chance of beating Mercury with only my hand cannon. But I wanted Ruby to come out safe. Ruby looked slightly worried but she thought I would come out fine.

I shot a few bullets towards Mercury to which he just dodged. Seriously how do you dodge bullets!? I ran forward while Ruby did the same. However Ruby just used her semblance getting to Mercury first this allowed him to Stop the Rose's telegraphed path and kick her away tot he ground. This infuriated me.

Y/n: Ruby, wait for an opening!

She nodded we both charged towards him. He grabbed Ruby and kicked her torso and her face. Then he kicked me in the knee sending me off balance and kicking me aside.

Ruby: Y/n!

I got back up and was about to fire a shot before he put Ruby in front of kind of using her as a hostage. She looked at me with a wide eyed expression.