33.

Tamia in the MM

Tamia in the MM.

Tamia Ford
1pm

"So this question to you all is, which of the following structures contains genes for enzymes and antibiotic resistance?" Dr. Psych asked the class before she began naming each structure.

"Plasmid, Pilus, Capsule or Plasma Membrane?" She went on asking and the entire class seemed to go quiet. Everybody then seemed to move away from their cameras and referred to their textbooks, trying to find the right answer.

I wasted no time though, thinking that I had the answered as I raised my hand and she quickly called on me.

"Ms. Ford?" She went on, waiting for me to unmute my mic.

"Plasmid." I spoke surely and clearly.

"That is correct." She went on saying before going back to the smart board and continuing the presentation for this afternoon's class.

I'd been doing so good in school lately and I genuinely did enjoy my classes. I'd even worked it out with Dr. Psych, so now she was allowing me to start showing my face on camera again and allowing me to actually participate in class with the other students again.

Everything for me just seemed to be going perfectly.

It just saddened me that I would have to scrape up the very last that I'd had in my account to continue this. I had a year left before I was finished school and I really didn't want to give up now.

I'd been online all morning from 8am to the time my class started at 1pm, trying to find work and putting in multiple applications, hoping to hear back from at-least one person by the end of this week.

I didn't care who it was.

I'd work at McDonald's or Walmart, if I had to.

If that meant I got to stay in school and still take care of my personal life well.

Next semester's tuition payments were due in about a week and a half, so I needed to figure out something and quick.

Breaking me away from my thoughts and my class, my phone buzzed loudly beside me on the bed. I put my pen down and stopped writing my notes a second as I turned my phone over to see who it was.

Sin:
Wyd, ma? I miss you

The text read and I couldn't help but to smile before I quickly texted back, putting my phone down afterwards and focusing again.

Me:
I'm in class, a little busy rn. Trying to focus.

Me:
Wyd?

I went back to jotting my notes down, listening to everything my teacher was saying and taking in all of the information intently. As I did, I felt my phone buzz again on the bed beside me twice, but I didn't look at it this time.