chapter 1

A/N: Chers Amores, l'esprit de Noël, c'est avant tout la chaleur d'un foyer accueillant, la gaieté tendre et le rire des enfants, le plaisir du partage... Je vous souhaite de passer un excellent Noël en famille, entourés de tous ceux que vous aimez. Joyeux Noël! - Zoé Isabel

Dear  Amores, the spirit of Christmas is above all the warmth of a welcoming home, the tender cheerfulness and laughter of children, the pleasure of sharing... I wish you an excellent Christmas with your family, surrounded by everyone you love. Merry Christmas! - Zoé Isabel

*Christmas is almost here. Any special plans? 🤔🤔🤔

°★- - - - -──────☾ - - - -°✩♡

CHAPTER 1

3 years later

CROSS unknowingly touched the pendant of his necklace as he peered at the tall glass building standing proudly in front of him. It had been almost a month since he started his work and thankfully, he hadn't encountered any problem so far.

He wished for the days to pass by quickly so that he could finally earn his target amount of wherewithal. He anticipated for that time to happen but for now, he knew he needed to do his best even though he was having a hard time.

"Good morning, Cross. What are you still standing here for? Five more minutes and your work starts." Oliver, the maintenance supervisor, said as he tapped him by the shoulder. He was in his mid-forties and had been working for Larsen Corp. for the past fifteen years.

Cross concealed his pendant underneath the neckline of his shirt and answered.

"Yeah, I'm coming." He thought Oliver would go on ahead but he remained standing there on his spot, staring at him before throwing a glance at the building before them.

"What's with the staring?" Cross asked with knitted eyebrows. Oliver shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

"I know it's none of my business but I've been meaning to ask you this ever since you started working here."

"About what?"

"What are you doing working as a maintenance man here in Larsen Corp.?"

Cross' forehead creased. "Why shouldn't I? I couldn't finish my education that's why I work several odd jobs per day. I mean, I'm still lucky to have all these jobs to support my mother and I. I don't see anything wrong with it."

"Why couldn't you finish your education? Well, if it's okay with you to share."

"My mother fell ill and..." He wanted to voice it out but the maleficent form of his inner demons began manifesting its ugly head. A small bitter smile curved his lips.

"It's already 6 o'clock, Oliver. We need to hurry."

"Damn! How come the time passed by so quickly like that?" The two workmates headed to the employee's locker room and quickly changed into their uniforms. Even though Oliver was the supervisor, he would help Cross with his job from time to time, especially when he didn't have enough time to do everything that he needed to do for the day.

Cross worked there as a maintenance man for four hours from Monday to Friday and whenever there was a lot of things to do, Oliver would do his best to help him.

"Okay. I'm all set. I'll check the air conditioner on the third floor. Apparently, it's not working properly." He was about to exit the locker room when Oliver spoke.