chapter 4

Friday 18th June 1971

The past year has school has progressively gotten better. I wouldn't say for one minute the whole "my best friend is a professional singer," has gotten better. If anything it has gotten worse. But was has gotten better is people like Paul who were constantly targeting me to get their 15 minutes of fame with Michael.

A few months ago i was invited to be part of the "popular group" of girls who i didn't like one bit. They obviously only wanted me in their friend group because they were fangirling massively over Michael. How can you pay no attention to him at all but as soon as he starts singing you have loved him for years. I want to laugh at them talking so stupidly but they aren't too keen on me as it is. So kicking me out isn't one of the things i want to happen to me today.

We break up for the summer today which i am so looking forward to. I have one day left of middle school then i can finally leave this place forever. I have no idea why my classmates have to act in a way to make me feel like such an outcast.

I'm sitting at lunch with Susie, Jennifer, Lisa and Angela at lunch listening to their constant chatting about Michael

"Lucy do you think we could meet with him over the summer?"

"Yeah do you think we could get tickets to one of his shows?"

They all start squealing at the idea but i know Michael would hate to hear the girls who used to laugh at him for being quiet now where fangirling over him.

"I'm really sorry girls but i don't think that would be possible as he is so busy with recording and rehearsing for his new album coming out. And besides he's living in California now anyway." They all just stare at me with disgust but i kind of have to redeem myself which will make them continue with their fangirling. "But i could tell you when the next album is out so you guys can be the first to buy it?" They all look at each other with half excitement and half intrigued.

"Go on then. When is it released?" I know i have to tell them know because otherwise they will be calling me non stop to find out.

"September 29th. And the album is called "Goin' Back To Indiana"".

"No way. Does that mean he's going back to Indiana?" Jennifer squealed. I replied bluntly because i was fed up of them.

"No. It doesn't" I didn't care they looked disappointed. After today i will never have to see anybody from this school ever again

But even though i have supposedly one more year in middle school, it's just my last day in this middle school. I haven't told anyone even my "friends" that my dad has gotten a new job on the other side of America. He still hasn't told us where yet i'm just hoping that is near California.

I finally got home from school and finished packing my bag. There was a moving van outside and we were flying across America tomorrow. My dad called me and my brother downstairs and i was just hoping it would be for him to tell us where we were moving to. I ran down as fast as i could because the chances were high that he would be telling us this now

"Okay, so i know i haven't told you where we are going yet because i didn't want you two to get overly excited. Especially you Lucy."

"Go on then where are we going?" Harvey impatiently asked

"So, we are moving to Encino, California." As soon as my dad said that i screamed with joy. I was so excited to finally see Michael again. Just like i promised, i ran to the nearest phone to dial Michael the amazing news

"Hello. Jackson residency speaking."

"Hi um is Michael there?" I ask confusingly

"And who might you be?"