chapter 27

August 1981
Michael had another perfect performances two days later, in Illinois. I could tell he was more confident with this one, he was enjoying it more than he did the first performance.

We were now arriving in Indiana. Somewhere I haven't been since I left years ago. I was nervous to see our old school, our old houses, the park we used to go to every day after school.

I kind of needed to go visit my family. But they haven't tried to get ahold of me even though I've left them all messages. I don't understand why I should be the only one putting in the effort.

I still talk to both grandmas at least once a week. I was so close to the both of them growing up, it's been hard being away for so long.

We arrived late at night, so as soon as we got off the plane, we headed to our room to sleep.

"Whilst you are rehearsing tomorrow and Tuesday, I'm going to go visit my family." I say, getting into the bed.

"Well I'd love to come with you. What time are you going?" Michael replied.

"Well all day. I'll go see Nannie and Grandma, then I'll go see some cousins that still live here."

My grandmas are who I get my middle names from. So my name is Lucy Marylin Juliana Rodriguez. In other words I'm LMJ. Like Michael. So when he decides to marry me, we will both be MJJ.

I'm not ready for marriage yet, I don't think Michael is either. We are both starting our careers, we have the rest of our lives to get married and have a family but that time is not right now.

"I thought you didn't like your cousins?" He asked me.

"They're family. If I don't see them I won't hear the end of it. Besides, I can brag to them now that I'm the most successful cousin." I smile, cuddling into his arms. "That was always my goal growing up. I'm the youngest but has achieved the most."

"Well now I feel bad letting you go without me, I don't want them to be rude to you." He sighs.

"Depending on what they say tomorrow, I'll decide on whether I think it would be best for me to invite you after the show." I say, kissing his cheek. "But you can definitely see the grandmothers, they love you. They always have done. Whenever I used to go, they would always ask how you are doing."

"Really?" Michael giggles.

"Yeah! You've gotta come see them."

"I will of course." He smiles as I wrap my leg around his waist. "Goodnight sweetie."

"Goodnight, baby." He kisses the top of my head before we fall asleep.

The next morning I call my family and let them know I am here and I was hoping to see them. They all sounded more than happy to hear from me, ironic as they are the ones who haven't answered their phone in years.

So I get dressed, into one of my favourite outfits, Michaels jacket, low waisted jeans and a white top. I add some of my jewellery and straighten my hair, giving it a flick at the end.

Michael was already up and out by the time I woke up, he kissed me goodbye but I wasn't fully awake, so I was able to drift off and have another few hours of sleep.

I grab my purse and head to my cousins home. I meet Kevin outside and hop in the back.

"How are you Kev?" I ask.

"Very good thanks sweetheart. How are you doing?" He replies.

"Yeah I'm good thank you. I'm going to visit my family." I sigh.

"That sigh means you feel you have to see them." He knows me too well.

"I love my grandparents but if I see them, they will say I've been and then they will get even more irritated with me." I say. "They only contact me when they need something."