chapter 31

Once Billie Jean left, we decided to go on a little road trip. So we grabbed some necessities, which included Michaels tape recorder and a notepad. He always carried these around, he said the ideas come to him randomly and he has to be prepared.

We jumped into my new white Mercedes, which I was obsessed with, it had white leather seats and was a convertible. I was literally in love.

I went behind the steering wheel and Michael jumped into the passenger seat.

"Could we please go in my car and let me drive?" He asked.

"Do you promise you won't crash?" I jokingly asked.

"I promise." He swore.

"Okay then." We jumped out of the car and got into his little sports car, don't ask me the brand, because I don't know.

This time, I jumped into the passenger seat, slightly anxious and Michael jumped behind the wheel with a smug look on his face.

"Don't you dare get all cocky Michael Joseph." I sternly say. "You've got a promise to keep."

"Don't worry!" He laughs, his bright smile lighting up his face. "I won't drive crazy with you in the car."

I nod, looking forward, little smile appearing on my face as he pulls out of the driveway and onto the main road.

We soon pull onto the motorway and Michael speeds up way over the speed limit. I don't say anything cos I do it too.

He starts tapping his hand on his leg and nodding his head. Then, he adds a beat box.

"Wait let's pull over, I've got a song idea." He says.

"You're the one driving." I laugh as he looks at me, once again with his bright smile.

"Oh yeah."

We pull up at a gas station and he grabs his recorder from the back seat and I grab my video recorder to film history in the making. He starts beatboxing into it creating a melody for this song. As I was listening, it sounded so familiar, yet so different.

I knew it would be a hit.

"What shall the song be about?" He asks. "It's the wrong beat for a love song."

"How about the opposite then?" I suggest.

"What do you mean?"

"Write it about Billie Jean, it would be a great song."

"I don't wanna give her attention though." He says.

"It won't give her attention, it will make her look like a weirdo. Besides, you could say it's not true."

"Okay." He smiles. "Let's do it."

He sings the melody of what he wants the chorus to sound like and I get to work trying to think of some lyrics that would fit.

"Right so the bit where you go..." I sound out to him the bit I mean before saying, "You could say, "but the kid is not my son.""

He sings it to the beat nodding his head. "I like it."

We spend at least 2 hours, sat in the parking lot, with the car running, thinking of ideas.

I start recording on the tape and film Michaels gorgeous face.

"So it is 1981 and we are in the gas station because Michael has had an idea for a new song."

He looks up at the camera with a big smile on his face. "So I'm about to record the demo for a new song on an album I'm gonna release soon, calling it Billie Jean."