Meetings

⋅ 🏹🎩 ⋅

'Clink. Clink. Clink.'

The rhythmic pattern of a cane stuck the uneven terrain that many wore out by walking all over. It caused the sound, the one that most of those in the Barrel found familiar and knew, either from experience or warnings, to stay clear when the sound entered and pattered their eardrums.

The sound trailed from the Crow Club, past the Slats, past many clubs and other souvenir shops. Finally reaching its destination just on the border of the West Stave.

It's accomplice barely smirked when he looked up at the stack of flats, yet another bar situated under it.

As far as he knew, this wasn't anyone's turf. Not the Dime Lions, nor the Black Tips, not even the Razorgulls. Simply situated on the border, unclaimed, private land.

'Smart'

He though to himself before he ventured into the bar.

To his surprise, it was very busy, extremely crowded. It was strange to Kaz, as he had no clue where the money was going. Most Clubs and Brothels where owned by some form of organisation, mainly gangs. And they money they made would go to them.

But judging on the sheer amount of people currently crowded it the open club room, this owner made a lot of money. Then why not leave? No one stays in Ketterdam too long, let alone the Barrel. So someone with this amount of income could easily get a one way ticket to Ravka or some other place.

The Club reminded him of the Crow Club ever so slightly, mainly the light in the club was an orange glow. Similar to the one he had just stepped foot in. And of course the atmosphere there was very similar also, everyone buzzing with excitement and eager to buy drinks and gamble. But those were the only similarities.

He didn't miss the many eyes that followed him as he ventured to the front desk, it was in a separate and secluded room one that had spiral steps to the left of the front desk. No doubt leading to many, many rooms.

When the door closed behind him in the smaller reception room, he was grateful the loud noisy chatter and cheers were muffled ever so slightly.

Kaz spotted a short stumpy man sat behind the desk, he was leant back in his seat that seamed practically melted to his body. No doubt from not moving in the past few hours. His feet were perched up and resting on the desk near an old fashioned like till, and he held the latest Ketterdam News paper in his hand, humming to himself as he flicked through pages.

Though the clink of Kaz' cane snapped his from his read, he looked up at the Bastard or the Barrel. A look of recognition crossed his face. That pleased Kaz, knowing even if this place didn't belong to any turf he had still made his presence known through the rumours and stories.

The man at the desk flipped his paper down, his face now visible to Kaz although he had already seen it in the mirror that was placed on the right side of the room.