Silent treatment

Not proof read!!
⋅ ⌖ ⋅

They all lay down on the spiky grass field, hidden behind a wagon

They all lay down on the spiky grass field, hidden behind a wagon. The quartet were spying on some guard currently inspecting Arkens tin box on wheels.

After the night before, Kaz and Leo had an understanding. Not a word is to be spoken of the night before, the vulnerability they showed. But there was comfort in it, a sort of stronger trust had bridged between them.

Inej on the other hand...that was a different story. She hadn't spoken a word to Leo, dispute Leo's attempts to make eye contact or reaching out the the girl. It was as if they were back to square one, and Leo was not a fan. Her chest ached when she noticed Inej deliberately avoiding her eyes or scattering away when she neared.

Leo didn't know what to do.

And Inej was conflicted by her feelings. Kaz's words playing in her mind 'love is weakness' and of course, Inej didn't believe that phrase that constantly spewed from her bosses lips... yet it kept replaying over and over. Inej knew that with one simple look at the girl that made her stomach flutter, she would cave. She would want to run into her arm and run from any danger that came towards them. But until this mission was over, she couldn't run from the danger. Only towards.

"How many are there?" Inej asked, squinting her eyes at the men in the distance to take her mind of the girl that was on the opposite side of Jesper.

"Two. At some point at least one of them will have to go tell a superior what they found, we'll go in then" Kaz replied,

"Not to be that person, Kaz-" Jesper spoke and Leo's head hung low with her eyes shut in exhaustion at the predictable words about to leave his mouth "but... are you sure you can drive that thing"

"Yes." Kaz replied in a instant, subtly noting he was offended by the question. "On the way to Kribirsk, while you were busy hugging bait-"

"Milo!" Jesper corrected and Leo mumbled "the goats name was Milo!"

Kaz ignored their corrections "I was memorizing Arken's timings"

"Not to gang up on you-" Inej's voice made Leo's head rise up from it position hanging down "-but Jes has a point. Arkens systems were complicated and the ride was chaotic, no one would blame you for missing a count"

This is when Leo finically spoke up "Jes?" She asked incredulously, eyes squinting in confusion.

Jesper looked at the girl who looked sick and tired of the bickering, not that he noticed, "it's Suli, for friendship" he chirped,