Split The Check

(All I can think is Anthony Mackie 'cut the check!' 🤭)

⋅ ⌖ ⋅

3 Dregs and a Heartreder where heading back into the Barrel from the Garden district, Kaz once again leading the way back

The Grisha's hands were shaking from the encounter they had just had with Dreesen the wealthy merchant. The woman had never seen someone been shot before, it scared her. And knowing that Jesper currently had a gun on his person didn't help.

"Is it true what you say" she asked Kaz, slightly out of breath from their brisk walking, she wondered if they were always in a rush "about my boss... is he dead?"

Kaz spared no sympathy "yes" he put it simply, Inej jumped in, hoping to show more sympathy that her boss currently did,

"It would be best if you make yourself scares for a few day, stay out of sight. Can never trust what the Dime Lions may do" she told the woman,

She nodded at Inej's words and silently parted off from them when they reached the turning for West stave, she planned to head home, lock all of her windows and shut her curtains. Hopefully catching some shut eye.

The 3 noticed her leave but said no goodbyes, they didn't have time. Kaz needed to plan for this Fold trip, and he only had till the morning to do so.

Jesper was sceptical, and a Inej seriously doubted he could do it.

She couldn't leave the Barrel, curtesy of Tente Heleen. The tattoo that stained her wrist was a reminder that she wasn't free yet, and she wouldn't be for a while. Not until her indenture was payed off.

Kaz led them down the short cut, secluded from the busy streets. The straight path was one no one but the Dregs traveled down, and no one wanted a run in with a Dreg.

It would be quicker because the straight path had no people to get in their way and have to avoid.

Inej lacked behind, she knew she couldn't convince Kaz to abandon a whole millions worth of Kruge no sane person would do that. Hell, even she wouldn't, she would risk her life a thousand times over for her freedom, but she had no choice but to back out.

'Tante Heleen wouldn't risk loosing her swift lynx'

She heard a sound from behind her and glanced back. It was the sound of a stone hitting the pavement, a sort of scrapping sound.

She kept walking as she surveyed behind her, she found nothing in sight. Maybe if had thought to look up, she would of changed a multitude of problems in the future.

She sighed when she saw nothing, following the two in front as then practically ran to the Crow club.

She didn't get a chance to tell them to slow down when an arm wrapped tight around her throat from behind and a sharp poke pressed into her lower back.