I Dont Need You

⋅ ⌖ ⋅

"Found something new on Pekka's assassin"

It was the second day since Leo found Inej in her room that night, after the ambush. Since then, Leo vouched to help Inej look for intel on this assassin on the side of her work for Pekka.

Leo huffed as she shrugged off her jacket and hung it on the coat rack near the door, looking over at Inej who was sharpening her blades.

"What did I tell you about sharpening blades on the bed, we'll get bloody metal shards scratching at our skin when we sleep-"

Although Leo was reprimanding her, Inej couldn't help but feel the butterflies in her stomach as Leo practically addressed the bed as theirs.

It almost distracted her from Leo's first sentence. Almost.

"What did you find on the assassin" she asked eagerly as she watched Leo huff as she took a seat at her desk. She sat up, straightening out her back, ignoring the cracking it made from being slouch all day, and placing her daggers on the bedside table. Watching Leo desperately, she needed this assassin gone.

Leo sighed and she barely spared a glance at Inej before looking at the parchment letters on her desk, all from her spies or her watchful eyes through the Barrel. Intel she needed to keep her reputation afloat.

"Nothing you should concern yourself with, I'll sort it"

The sentence almost made Inej angry, "what?!" She huffed, "Lee, I need to after him. I need to go after him. I don't need you to protect me"

Leo turned to finally look at Inej, though Inej didn't feel the familiar relief that came when their eyes made contact. "I don't want you going after him alone, he's a shifty asshole but he's smart and has it out for your head. I'm not saying you can't protect yourself, I'm saying you don't always have to" Inej didn't have a reply for the last part,

"You know who he is?" She questioned, and Leo nodded, "where is he?"

Leo gave her a deadpanned look, Inej huffed "I don't need your protection, I can handle one man-"

"Inej, he nearly killed you up on that roof. I don't want to have to stitch another gash on your arm when he gets a hit on you-"

"Then I'll stitch it myself-"

"Not when I can prevent it in the first place! Not when I can actually be there for you this time!" Leo cried out, she wasn't the best with overflowing stress. Pekka's still not off her ass with suspicion, one her contacts has gone silent and now she finds out the man after Inej is a full blown psycho, one she wasn't there to protect her from.