47. Blind (GOJS ARC 18)

Ben slammed on the brakes, and the car screeched to a halt.

"SHIT!" he cursed, punching the dashboard in rage.

He took a deep breath, staring at the open road to freedom ahead. That stupid bitch... she was gonna get herself killed! He should just go... he shouldn't care. But...

He didn't want her to die. Not Mint, either.

Ben sighed annoyedly, before turning the car around to go back, further into Jewel Street.

-(MINT)-

Mint glared hatefully into the visor of the towering menace in front of her. It didn't matter how much armour she hid behind, there was a person in there. Someone who could be killed. The knight just glared right back, the purple flare still fizzling in it's breastplate. Both were waiting for the other to make the first move...

Suddenly, the knight swung forward with it's blade! The flat of the sword slammed into the light switch, flicking it off just before Mint let off another shot, which clattered along the wall in the darkness.

Thinking on her feet, Mint leaped towards the light switch, but something grabbed one of her legs and tried to yank her away. She grabbed onto one of the pipes on the wall, grunting in pain as the muscles in her arm and leg were tugged and stretched. She flipped the shotgun in her grasp, and swung it wildly at where she knew the light switch to be.

Eventually, the handle caught the switch, flipping the lights on with a small click. Mint let go of the pipe she had been holding on to, and was dragged across the floor by her ankle, spinning as she slid.

The knight let go of her leg, and placed both hands on it's sword's hilt, raising it above it's head to plunge it down into Mint's torso! Mint took a shot, and in a flash of sparks, the knight staggered back whilst Mint clambered to her feet, backing away into the dead end as she searched her pockets for more shells.

The knight collected itself, and turning it's head slowly back to Mint. She could feel a glare twisted by rage and anguish burning straight into her own eyes through a second purple flare, and realised she couldn't reload fast enough.

The knight did a violent horizontal swing, which Mint could barely duck under, dropping her gun as she did. The blade moved so fast that it seemed to cut the air itself, leaving a whistle in it's arc. This beast... it was running on hate.

Mint barely ducked and dodged a flurry of swings and jabs, slicing just barely past her head and body. She was slowing, getting tired, but the knight didn't seem to.

Finally, Mint dodged a swing, then tackled the knight with all of her strength, shoving it back, it seemed to stumble a bit, but quickly retaliated with another swing as Mint pulled back.

The blade slashed her cheek open, but then collided with the wall, lodging itself in. As the knight struggled with it's sword, Mint dove into the tower of boxes. She pushed them forward as she weaseled between others, clambering out the other side of the shelf. She dove through one more empty shelf into the third aisle, which had another exit door.

But as she dashed towards it, the knight noticed the light switch within it's reach. It stretched over and flipped it just as Mint reached the door, suddenly appearing behind her and kicking her brutishly in the back.

Bursting through the door, Mint rolled on the cold, damp concrete of the night as her enemy menacingly stomped over to her, both flares still burning in it's chest and head. She slowly climbed to her hands and feet, spitting out blood as it filled her mouth from the hole in her cheek.

A huge gauntlet grabbed her by her hair, and yanked her to her tiptoes as the knight brought her face to face.

Mint just laughed exasperatedly, spitting blood into the knight's face through the visor. Furious, it threw her to the ground, but she just kept laughing cockily as it's rage grew and grew. Having had enough, the knight prepared another plunge of it's blade, but was suddenly knocked back by a flare shell slamming into it's face, and falling to all fours as another blasted it's breastplate.