86. People Die All The Time

Wren missed. She still couldn't believe it...

If she hadn't hesitated, if she had trained a little harder, if she had done something else, anything else-

Robin was as good as dead. As her foot dragged through the portal, there was no telling what DV would do to her. Every good thing, every bad thing, every second of their time together was killed, so haphazardly.

Simply put, Wren couldn't process it. How the hell had she messed this up? But then...

POP!

-(SECONDS EARLIER)-

As the portal opened in front of DV, and Wren launched herself forward, Twig watched in shock. She... she was leaving. DV was leaving...

The bottom of his face pressed heavily into the dirt, he sobbed;

"D- don't leave me... where are you going?"

The world seemed to spin around him. Why the hell was she leaving? Thinking back to what happened with Alan, with Emma... but no, he wasn't nearly as expendable to DV as they were!

Or... was he?

Just like how it had been with Wren, he was overestimating his importance again... he was meant to die here. It was part of DV's plan!

Twig closed his eyes, pressing his face down into the dirt sorrowfully as gravity beat down on him. The icy winds whistled rawly for his last day. But just over them, he could hear yelling, screaming. Wren.

Fighting her way towards DV without thinking, without hesitation, for what she truly cared about, in spite of everything...

No. No! Dying here... even if it was what she wanted... he wanted to live!

"Come... BACK!" he screamed, breaking his dry vocal cords as he hit himself with his own Tape Deck.

With a POP! Twig was on the other side of the dome looking down the corridor towards Wren as she slammed herself through wall after wall for her love. And seeing her, just like it always had, ignited a fire inside of him; it was time to get the fuck up.

"I SAID COME BACK!"

He screeched as he rose to his good yet shaky leg, shooting his Tape Deck after DV.

-(WREN)-

Wren's eyes snapped open. That loud POP, what was it? Wh-

Robin's foot was now on her hand.

Instantly, Wren realized there was no time to think. She pulled back as hard as she could, dragging Robin back through the portal!

DV gasped as she was pulled backwards, and her face was covered with Wren's hand before she even knew what was going on.

A wild blast slammed her head straight into the ground, at such a high speed that the rest of her body jolted flat as it fell too. What the hell? She was through the portal!

Wren jumped back, holding an unconscious, heavily injured Robin. She looked warily on as DV stood back up.

Slowly, she rose, debris from the blast tumbling from her body. And through the dust...

A piercing, terrifying gaze, much sharper than the surrounding air. Her singed, beaten face displayed nothing more than slight annoyance.

"...Fine. You want this? Fine by me." DV stated, before her slight frown twisted into a small smile. "You really do have your own little way of crawling back to me, don't you?"