82. Jewel's Rematch

"So, we'll take Wren. Which ones do you want?"

Twig thought for a second, before pointing to Robin, remembering her from Jewel Street.

"That one's mine!"

"Aw," DV groaned sarcastically, "I did have hopes of making Wren kill her beloved little girlfriend with her own hands, but the others should be interesting enough."

None of the three on the ground could hear the two conversing clearly, but Wren could pick up on her name. Mixed with seeing how scared Robin got when Twig pointed at her, and that she seemed to be the only one not paralyzed with fear, she decided she had to do something.

Wren stepped forward, ignoring Robin's pleas for her to stay back.

"Hey!" she yelled, "You want me? I'm waiting!"

"Hear that?" DV said to Twig. "She just can't wait to be taken!" She smirked, but Twig didn't seem too pleased. "Hey." she reassured, "When she's done, I'll be the one to take her out. Don't worry about it."

Changing the subject, Twig gestured down at BM, still frozen in the ground.

"Did you take his power?"

"No." DV replied, "His power's too big. I took his ability to move."

Seeing them point down and discuss her injured friend whilst ignoring her, Wren had had enough. She raised her hand high in the air, channeling energy up her arm, before slamming it into the ground and sending an explosion straight down.

Huge spikes of mud and stone erupted from the earth, and Wren ran straight over to them, dashing up them and propelling herself with blasts, ignoring the pain in her hands. She wasn't sure where she was getting these moves, but something about having DV standing before her ignited a long lost flame.

Wren flung herself onto the platform, and Twig stepped aside. He couldn't bring herself to fight her... it felt so wrong.

As she let off powerful explosions straight ahead, DV had no such qualms. The blasts were blocked by thick, black tendrils and tentacles, which quickly lashed out and grabbed Wren, engulfing her entirely. The last thing she felt before her vision and other senses faded to black was the tendrils crawling in her mouth, nose, around her eyes, claiming and puppeteering her entire body...

"WREN!" Robin screamed, watching it all happen from the ground. When the tentacles finally released Wren, both Dominic and Robin gasped in the face of something they'd seen before, and had only ever meant something terrible was about to happen.

Wren looked down at them, now standing alongside the attackers, an evil grin on her face and wispy black flames orbiting her.

"Well, you kids have fun. Wren, try and stay away from your girlfriend. Twig wants her." DV ordered, turning and heading back up the path to the looming wooden tower.

As she left, BM rose from the ground slowly, his movement restored by DV in the name of a more interesting fight.

He looked up to see Wren's current state, and could only manage to form the words "Oh no..." under his breath.

Twig looked over at her. Maybe... maybe it could be nice, being by her side again, even like this.

"Hey, I-" was all he could say before Wren jumped straight off of the platform.

As she careened towards BM, she flung little orbs straight at him. He threw his arms up in front of his face, but as soon as they hit, the orbs exploded! BM gasped as he was flung backwards. With all this new energy flowing through her, Wren seemed to be able to hold her energy bundles together, even in the open air!