57. ROMEO

Delilah sleeps a lot. The doctor said she would be out of it for a couple of days. They said she's exhausted, like physically and mentally.

They said they can't tell me why she was bleeding because of patient confidentiality.

I haven't left her side in a week. She sleeps, wakes up for a couple of minutes and sleeps again.

Athena has been her doctor, Athena is staying here too. Delilah and Athena have never met before but Athena has taken a liking to her.

Delilah's hair is so short. They shaved it all off. Her face is bruised and she has more scars than before.

Her eyes open again and I lean over, pressing the button for the nurse.

"Hello." I lift her hand up.

She looks over at me and her eyes narrow, "Ro?"

"I'm here baby. I'm here, I got you." I lift her hand to my lips.

I need to cry again.

I don't want to cry in front of her. I don't want her to think i'm weak.

I kiss her hand.

"Romeo." She lets tears run. That's the most she's said the entire time she's been here. "Romeo."

"I'm here baby." I recline the bed so she's in a sitting position. "I got you."

"I'm so sorry." She shakes her head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, precious. Isn't your fault." I shake my head. "No, don't be sorry."

She starts crying again. The nurses come in and tell me to leave but I didn't want to leave. I need to be with her. I'm going to lose my mind if i'm not.

"Romeo." Athena walks in, "Go wait outside."

"No." I shake my head. "No. She needs to know it isn't her fault. Tell her it isn't her fault, Athena."

"I will. I will." She look to a nurse, "Page psych."

"No. She's not crazy." I look at Delilah crying as the nurses fumble over her. "She's not crazy she's just..."

My chest hurts.

Dad walks in and pulls me away, "You can't interrupt the nurses when they're working." He lets go of me and then puts his hand on my chest. "Romeo, I don't know how to deal with your panic attacks, snap out of it."

"I can't. I need her." I look in the room. "I need her to be okay."

"She is okay but she won't be okay if you don't let the doctors do their jobs."

I just need to hold her.

I wasn't listening to dad, so he puts me in timeout, literally. He locks me in a storage cupboard.

After two hours, he finally lets me out.

Delilah was awake, food on her table, drinks and jello, she was watching something on the TV.

Her eyes flick to me and she smiles softly.

I can't cry.

I don't want to cry.

I walk in, sitting at the chair on the side of her bed. She grabs my hand but doesn't say anything, just looks at the gardening show on the TV.

I kiss the back of her hand again. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." She looks at me. "I want a garden... wanna plant vegetables." She mumbles, then clears her throat. "Cuddle?"

I look at her attached to all the wires. "I don't think I can."