76. ROMEO

I look at my mothers ring. She got them all customers made for this moment. "Do I have to get down on one knee?"

Now that Delilah's parents are dead, she's happy and healthy and I'm taking on the big role as lead capo, overstepping my father. It's time to finalise things.

"I didn't." Dad shrugs.

Mom slaps his shoulder. "Yes."

"That'll crease my shoes."

"Romeo." She groans. "Delilah is a romantic girl. Get on one knee for her."

I nod my head. "Thanks for this. I shall tell you how it goes later." I walk away.

I grab flowers, make sure the beach is properly set up and walk into the house. She was sleeping on the couch.

She's so beautiful.

I let her rest while I shower and make myself look more presentable. A new suit, I cut my own hair, accidentally giving myself a mullet and then going for it completely.

Why did I do that?

I stare at myself in the mirror. Now I look like a stupid teenage boy.

"Romeo." She knocks on the door. "I need to pee."

"Go use the other bathroom.... i'm... I'm-"

She walks in anyways, her eyes narrow and she raises an a eyebrow. "Did you just give yourself a mullet?" She sits on the toilet.

"Does it look okay?"

"Looks hot." She leans forward. "Where you going?"

"We are going somewhere."

"I have horrible cramps right now. I don't want to leave the couch." She hugs herself. "I'm tired."

Absolutely not.

"Delilah. Please. It will take an hour." I smile softly.

"Is it serious or can it be postponed?"

"If I don't do it now I don't know when I will have the confidence to do it again."

"What is it exactly?" She makes a pained groan. "Oh, sorry baby. Can you fill up my hot water bottle and get me some ibuprofen, please?"

I walk out of the bathroom, down to the kitchen and grabbing her the stuff she asked for.

When I walk back she was curled on the bed. I give her everything. I guess we'll wait.

"Cuddles?" She asks.

How can I refuse?

I kick my shoes off and get into the bed beside her, wrapping my arms around her. She turns to me, the hot water bottle shoved down her pants and on her lower stomach, warming up mine too.

She closes her eyes, and a minute later she's asleep.

What am I supposed to do now?

I let her rest with me for a while, but when she turns to lay on her back, I stand up and leave the room.

"It's not happening today." I call mom

"Why not?"

"She is on her period and it's sore for her." I go downstairs.

"Okay, well, you don't need to rush it, Romeo. Just take your time. Proposing is a big thing."

"I'm impatient and-"

"I know but think about her instead of you. Any girl would hate it if you proposed to them without them looking their very best and feeling their very best."