Maleficent 2 Part 7

Phillip stood inside the royal chambers, deep within the walls of Castle Ulstead. As a boy, he had loved coming to the grand rooms, listening from the wings as his father negotiated with foreign dignitaries or met with his war council to plan attacks. The lavish oversized furnishings had seemed huge to him; the large animal heads mounted on the wall always seemed to follow him magically. He had always been simultaneously terrified and intrigued by the trophies his mother insisted King John keep in the chambers.

Philip commented"I always felt uncomfortable with those animal head mounts?"

John agreed with his son and added"Me too."

This had been an exotic and foreign place. The lack of life-both literal and metaphorical-had always made him both excited and uncomfortable. As Phillip got older, however, the intrigue had faded. Now he found the lifeless eyes of the animals depressing. And while he still enjoyed spending time with his father, he often wished they could do it outside, away from the room that, despite its size and ever-present fire, seemed to suffocate him and make him feel cold to his core. Unaware of his son's dark thoughts, King John strode across the room. He wore a huge grin, and in his hand he had a sword. "I want you to wear this tonight," he said, holding it out.

"The king's sword?" Phillip gingerly reached out and took it

"The king's sword?" Phillip gingerly reached out and took it. The weapon felt surprisingly light. He had seen it strapped to his father's side hundreds of times, and in his head it had always been a heavy, unwieldy weapon. The significance of his father's giving it to him now was not lost on Phillip.

Beast hummed and commented"So you are passing on the torch

Beast hummed and commented"So you are passing on the torch."

John nodded and said"I knew,he would be a better King than me."

But the king seemed to feel the moment needed explanation. "Because of you," he said, his voice full of pride, "Ulstead and the Moors will be united at last." Phillip shook his head, trying to hand the sword back.

"My love for Aurora has nothing to do with politics," he protested.

Aurora smiled at Philip,who held her hand.While Mal and Maleficent smiled at them.

Ingrith rolled her eyes at the whole thing.

"Your love will ensure peace for generations," King John said, changing the sentiment ever so slightly but enough to make it clear he understood. Then his eyes welled with tears. Phillip struggled not to smile. His father was nothing if not a romantic. He should have known that to King John, the marriage was a love match first and foremost.

The king pushed the sword into Phillip's hand once more and added, "I've never been more proud." Phillip slowly holstered the sword, shifting on his feet as he got used to the weight of the object at his hip. Then he looked back at his father. He had come to the royal chambers for a reason and been distracted. He needed to talk about his mother. Before she had composed herself, Phillip had seen a flash of anger cross her face when she first heard his news, and it had been eating at him.

Phillip had come to his father now because he had always done so when he was worried about something. "What about Mother?" he finally asked. "Is she upset?"

"She'll learn to love who you love," the king answered without hesitation.

Mal scoffed and said"Like hell she will,you should have seen her face."

Maleficent and Aurora nodded,while Leah sighed and said"Even Maleficent,who is wary of Philip for real reasons,but she was able to keep her issues to side and agreed to meet you for Aurora's sake."

Leah tunred to look at Ingrith with a frown and added"If you can't do the same,I can only say you don't care about your son at all."

Ingrith glared at Leah and shouted"You don't know anything about me,I am better than that freak."

Jay,Carlos,Evie,Lonnie and Jane in sync thought"Yeah,right."

Then, clapping a hand on Phillip's back, he began to tell him a story about when his and Ingrith's betrothal had been announced. Phillip only half listened. He hoped his father was right. But a piece of him wished that his mother didn't have to learn to love Aurora. He didn't expect her to love Aurora in the unconditional way he did. But why was it so hard for her to embrace Aurora when everyone else did with such joy and ease? Was Ingrith incapable-or simply unwilling?

Mal spoke up"I will go with the first,she is not capable.After seeing and hearing her thoughts.I am sure about this."

Jaffar looking at Philip said"Boy,you already seem to know the answer to it in your heart."

Philip nodded and replied"Yes,I knew it.But I wanted believe my mother atleast loved me enough to be atleast cordial with Aurora and Maleficent."

John and Philip sighed, they came to terms with the fact Ingrith didn't care abou them one bit.For John it was easier,but Philip it was slightly harder,since Ingrith raised him.Sure she didn't have the caring side,but she was there for huge part of his life.

Standing in the shadows of the royal chambers, queen ingrith had watched and listened as her husband and son blathered on about love and unity. She had been glad that her face was hidden. At least the two men could not see her eyes as they rolled or the small grimace she bore when she heard she would grow to love Aurora in time. All the time in the world would not be enough. To her, Aurora was only a pawn in a game of chess she had been secretly playing for years.

Mal,Maleficent,Audrey, Diaval and Aurora along with VK kids glared at Ignrith.

John shook his head and replied"So she heard everything and her heart didn't even waver hearing her sons doubts about her."

While Philip hearing his mothers thoughts glared at her mother and asked"So let me guess, I was also a pawn too.Just like Aurora and father."

Ingrith saw the anger and disgust in Philip's eyes causing her to flinch.She couldn't even lie, so only thing she could do was look away.