Food For Thought

Pairing: Hannibal Lecter x Fem!Reader

Desc: It's Hannibal's 40th birthday, he just had to throw a grand party but to your surprise you are invited.

Warning tags: in a silly goofy mood really lmao. I guess: social anxiety, a rude person, Will being kind as ever and Hannibal being himself. Brief mentions of a few other characters

A/n: So Hannibal Lecter's birthday is actually January 20th and he would be turning 90 this year. As for the doctor who inspired the character: Alfredo Ballí Treviño passed away of cancer in 2016ish. Anyways enjoy.

Word Count: 2k 

🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️         "Keep the change, and have a safe night!" You politely told  your driver as you walked out of the cab

         "Keep the change, and have a safe night!" You politely told your driver as you walked out of the cab. The night was a bit chill, and it had rained earlier, so thank you brought a small shoulder-sleeved sweater to cover your Pearl Button Red Velvet Dress. You had kitten heels, and a natural makeup look. Your hair wasn't an updo, it was free in the air. Not messy but comfortable hovering over your cleavage area. You wanted to be modest tonight, and not catch anyone's eyes. Sure, you were a doctor but you were still in fellowship and Dr. Lecter was your mentor. So when you received an invitation to his birthday you thought that it was perhaps by accident but it wouldn't hurt to pass by to leave at least a thank you present. You walked up the stairs and rang the doorbell once. Slowly the doors opened and you were welcomed in by a party caterer. You thanked them for allowing you in, and you were amazed by the decorations. As per usual, Hannibal outdid himself. It was what everyone talked about, amazing and captivating. The rooms were bright light with a beautiful piano bar, candles, different types of exotic flowers and mini-party flavors to be taken in. You looked around and noticed that Dr. Alana Bloom was speaking to Jack Crawford and Jimmy Price along with his partner Brian Zeller. You never knew if they were a couple but they did have such a cute bromance in the morgue. Dr. Alana noticed your presence and kindly waved at you. You nodded your head, you were going to approach her until Dr. Chilton got to you first.

-"Well what a pleasant surprise Dr. Y/LN, what brings you here tonight?"
- "Good evening to you too Dr. Chilton, it's nice to see you too. I hope you're doing well. I am surprised as you are actually, Dr. Lecter sent me an invitation." You said politely not wanting to ignore his arrogance, you could tell he was reading you. Wondering if Dr. Lecter had invited you because you two had something secretly going on, or the fact that maybe you are fucking your way to the top. Dr. Chilton smiled and took your invitation from your hands, you bit your bottom lip trying to hide a frown,
-"My my, you got the red and golden styled invitation. Someone seems to be catching Dr. Lecter's attention, after all, it is his birthday! What did you buy him, Y/N?" formality seemed to be slipping little by little the more time you spent next to him
-"That would ruin the surprise, Fredrick! Don't be rude, you know it's not kind to ask what someone brought." You said as well breaking a bit of formality, if he could do it why couldn't you? Oh, that was right, you weren't a full doctor in his eyes. Dr. Chilton leaned in to hug you but he whispered in your ear
- "My friends call me Fredrick, remember your place Y/n." You felt your ears become hot, you were going to shoot back another comment,
- "Good evening Gentleman and, Ms. Y/n." Will Graham said eyeing you. You sighed, and fixed your dress "Well is he acting like one Y/n? I wouldn't mind having a word with him." Will Graham said looking at Chilton, who began to laugh and grabbed two glasses of wine.
-"Forgive me for being rude, it must be the wine intake. Here, take one. Welcome to the party Dr. Y/LN, enjoy your stay." He sneered at you but smiled at Will as he walked away. You rolled your eyes and held the wine glass in your hands.
- "How are you Y/n? Do you want me to kick his ass? I can talk to Jack about switching divisions for you?" Will offered help, which was kind of him. He was always empathic towards people who deserved it. You placed your hand softly on his shoulder, knowing he wasn't good with human contact.
-"No, it's okay. I only have a few months to deal with him but he's not entirely wrong, I am surprised Hannibal invited me. I am like, you know, not one of  you guys." You said looking down, Will tsked at you.
-"Don't do that Y/N, you belong here like the rest of us. Trust me, I am only here because I knew Dr. Alana and you would be here."
-"Thank you, Will, I am glad you're here." more people filled the piano bar area and you knew that Will felt a bit uncomfortable.
- "Hey, you reminded me. I think Hannibal mentioned once about having a mini art gallery want to ditch this area and go somewhere quiet?" You brought up the idea, Will laughed and said
- "I'll catch up with you, I don't want Jack hunting me down like a madman." You nodded your head and began to walk away before you were one step away from Will, he slowly grabbed your hand and said
-"By the way, I forgot to tell you that this shade of red brings out your eyes." You smiled and joked as a friend "I thought you hated eye contact".
- "I do, but your eyes don't bug me like the rest, I don't have to wonder when your liver will collapse." Will snorted, he was being kind, and a little funny and he enjoyed your company, which allowed him to step out of his comfort zone for a moment. You thanked him and walked past the sea of people.

- In The Mini Gallery-
It was easy for you to escape the rooms filled with people, everyone was either self-indulging in the food or in their own achievements. You didn't dare to burst anyone's bubble, you just wanted to get to the gallery. Which wasn't fair, it was just up the carpeted stairs two lefts and one right. You appeared in front of a cracked door with light inside, so the art gallery was open. You walked in and saw many wonderful paintings. You began to wonder if some of them were real collections that Dr. Lecter had privately bought at an auction. But the painting that caught you by surprise was Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. It was the biggest painting hanging on the wall at the end of the art gallery, and thankfully there was a marble bench to sit on. You marveled at the theories and meanings behind this painting, and how many arguments a single painting can either break apart or bring together people. As you got lost in the detail, you didn't hear the footsteps behind you.
-"Good evening Dr. Y/N, I am so glad that you could make it." Dr. Lecter said, You gasped and placed your untouched wine down.
-"Happy Birthday Dr. Hannibal Lecter! How rude of me to leave your party downstairs, and come up to your gallery without permission." You started with blood pooling on your cheeks. Hannibal grinned
-"Rude? Not at all. It would be rude to deprive people of the creations of artists. I left the gallery open just in case anyone felt overwhelmed." You slightly frowned
-"Overwhelmed is an understatement, but never mind me! I have a gift for you." You said as you turned around to grab the lovely black box with a golden ribbon that you made at home. Hannibal held the gift and sat down, you took a seat next to him.
-"What is it?" Hannibal asked calmly, you tried to hide your smile this time as you explained
-"Well since you are a well-known psychiatrist, and as I am proven tonight, I thought about getting you something that everyone needs in their life." Hannibal raised an eyebrow and softly worked through the ribbon, trying not to ruin it. He wanted to keep it neatly together. As he open the lid, to his surprise he said
-"A Piston Fill Fountain Pen? My goodness, Dr. Y/N, I have taught you well. How did you know I was going to need one?" He was surprised by your observation skills and memory. He made a mental note of keeping you close.
-"I can tell that you take many notes, and you mentioned to me once that you enjoy drawing. So I got you a fountain pen, I can return it if you'd like, Dr. Lecter." You declared, hoping that he would say no, Hannibal placed the fountain pen back into the box and tenderly placed his hand on top of yours.
-"It's the best gift, I could have gotten tonight Y/n. Thank you, I hope I can continue being your mentor." He expressed genuinely,
-"I would want nothing more. I actually have a question for you, Dr. Lecter." You said bravely as you took a sip of your wine, feeling comfortable in his presence.
"Anything." He stated for you to continue, you breathed out as you noted
-"Perhaps someone else has asked you this question, but what do you think the message of this painting is?" Your eyes trailed back to the painting. Hannibal took a minute and wanted to find the correct words to say to you. He then found them.
-"I believe this painting's message is stating that none of us are too far away from the grace of god or to even be a god if we truly place our mind to it and not limit ourselves, Ms. Y/Ln" He explained as he intertwined his hands into yours. You smiled, and felt like shying away, Hannibal noticed. He held on tightly to your hand, he didn't want to let go and neither did you.
-"I know what people think of you and me. I have heard of the common people gossip. And, I don't want you to take Dr. Chilton's vile words to heart, He's just jealous." Hannibal reassured you, so he did know about the discussion. You shook your head
-"Jealous of what? I am not like him, with a high position in the psychiatry field and I am certainly not like Will Graham or even the slightest like You, Dr. Lecter. I mean, I don't think many can come close to being like you. So what is he jealous of?" You asked truly wanting to know, Hannibal placed his lips on your hand
"He and other people are jealous because you don't limit yourself and you just might be close to the grace of god. You are unapologetic yourself, which is why I am glad you are here. Do not ever limit yourself, you belong here." You felt your eyes sting with a bit of tear, one of them slid out and Hannibal quickly wiped it away. He stood up from the marble bench.
-"Just food for thought, okay? I'll see you downstairs, I don't wish to blow out the candles without your presence, Y/n" He whispered as he leaned down to kiss your forehead. You agreed to meet him downstairs in a bit. You continued to stare at the painting, and it made you wonder: who were you close to more? Was it Will? Dr. Alana Bloom? Or god himself, Dr. Hannibal Lecter? You shook away the thoughts and stood up. Before you could leave the art gallery Will Graham walked in smiling
-"Chilton is making a fool of himself. He is nearly shitface drunk! But first, my lady, let's enjoy the silence up here" He said now more in his comfort zone, you laughed and wandered around the art gallery a second time but this time with Will, with a whole other perspective to see these paintings from.
🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️🍷🍽️