Fourteen

"You're stupid that's why," I say throwing a bag of chips at karl.

"You kissed him!" Karl says.

"He kissed me," I say.

"You kissed back!" Karl smiles "your dream finally happened!"

"Keep your voice down," I say "someone will probably come out here and get us in huge shit"

We're out by the soccer field, sitting down in the middle of the field with a soccer ball in my lap.

Karl is sitting in front of me with his water between his legs.

We were practicing for a while even though we're not supposed to be here after six.

Dream and sapnap went to grab snacks from the general store around the corner, and they should be back soon.

"I don't want to do the game on Friday," I say "it's so boring and tiring, sometimes I forget I'm even on a soccer team"

"Then don't play" Karl shrugs "just don't do it if you find it boring"

"But at the same time, what the fuck am I supposed to do?" I huff "my mom would ground me for life if I quit the sport she spent years trying to get me into"

"Well... I don't think you should be doing a sport that someone else wanted- forced you to do" Karl tilts his head slightly to the side "maybe you should do art"

"But I like soccer" I bite the inside of my cheek "I don't know anymore.."

"Do what you want to do" Karl says "that's the best way to go at things"

"We're back!" Sapnap says sitting beside Karl.

Dream sits beside me, and they both place two bags in the middle.

Inside the bags are monsters, water, chips, chocolate, gum, and candy.

"Holy shit you guys bought the whole store.." Karl says looking through the bags.

The bags are huge so you can fit a shit ton of stuff inside.

"Okay, let's talk," sapnap says passing me a bag of Doritos.

I open it and begin to eat a chip.

"What did she say?" Sapnap asks, shoving a handful is skittles in his mouth.

"She said she didn't know what I was talking about" I sigh "obviously she's lying since the way her voice was cracking, she had glassy eyes and she wouldn't let go of eye contact"

"Isn't it when people aren't looking at you that they're lying?" Karl asks.

I shake my head "the way she was looking at me was like she was trying to tell me something without saying it"

"Then why didn't you just tell her you know she's lying?" Dream asks.

"Because I'm not going to force her into telling me something, and I mean if something is happening she wouldn't tell me of all people" I look at Dream "she would probably tell you, Sara, or her siblings if she's close enough to them"

We all go quiet as the only thing that can be heard is our chewing of the things we're eating, and the birds above us along with the wind.

The tension between me and Dream isn't weird. It's almost like we're waiting for one of us to say something, but we're finding the right time.

I completely understand if he didn't want to go further than.. friends. He did just get out of a relationship a couple of weeks ago.

Am I even ready for a relationship? With my best friend?