Eighteen

I stare at the picture of all five of us on the wall.

Me, Eliza, my mom, max, and David.

That picture used to have my father in it, but now he's replaced by David.

My mother is in front of us, sticking her finger out like she's giving us a lecture. Probably because she is.

She's telling us about how Lila and Jacob will be here in only a matter of seconds, and to be on our best behaviour.

David is setting the table and placing food onto the blue cloth.

I can't say I know what's to come, I can't tell the future. But what I do know is that it's not going to be pretty.

Something is very wrong and I don't like it at all.

"Eliza, be nice," she says "and no arguments after or during dinner"

What does she mean by that?

The doorbell rings and my mom runs to get it.

"Lila Jacob! Come in" she says with a smile on her face.

Lila as pure usual, is wearing a baby pink short dress that's above her knees. While her hair is just up to her shoulders.

Jacob is just in a t-shirt and black jeans.

(I'm making this go by quickly)

We all sit down at the table, and we begin to eat.

"So George how was the beach? And Quackitys birthday?" David asks who is sitting at the head of the table.

I swallow the steak I had in my mouth "Uhm- it was good, he said he had a good time"

"How old is he now?" My mother asks.

"Eighteen," I say "we all are"

"Right right, and Lila I heard you just got a job?" My mother turns her attention to Lila.

"Uh yeah, a restaurant around the corner. I saw George there with his friends while I was working" she says.

"Oh that's wonderful, can't wait for George to get a job sometime" she whispers the last word.

The only reason I don't have a job is because she made me do soccer, she's the reason I'm not working.

"Max, you got first in the spelling bee," I say "did you see Jackson's face after you won?"

"Yeah! He was so mad he almost threw his pen across the room" max says.

"I got a home run last game, practically carried the team to the end" Jacob mentions "I also got a scholarship to West High"

I hold in a laugh.

West High is where all the jock sporty kids go. The only reason we didn't is because our grades are much better than others who went there.

"Something funny George?" My mother asks.

"No no sorry- I was just thinking about something from earlier," I say straightening my back.

"Anything new at school Eliza?" My mother asks.

"No" she sighs "other than the fact Lila and her little minions drew all over my textbook which in case your wondering" she looks at Lila "I got a new one"

"I never-" Lila begins but I interrupt her.

"You know I'm missing my soccer game?" I say "letting my whole team down by being here, just thought I should mention it since none of you care to ask about my games. Or even go as far as coming to them"