Chapter 6 ( Gambling is a dangerous thing, especially if you lose)

I saw Angie leaning on her locker all happy.

“Well look at you miss run away from school.”

“Julie, you have no idea what happened, but yesterday was the best day of my life.” She kept smiling and hugged me.

“I’m sorry for ditching you yesterday but I had to. The short story is that Johnny came in front of my house with a picnic basket begging me to go on a date with him. So I called in sick and we drove to the beach. We sat on a blanket he brought and we talked and laughed. It was amazing. He is amazing. He was really sweet and gentle. The best part was when it started to get cold he put his jacket over my shoulders and held me close so I would be warm.”

I had to admit. It had been a hell of a date if what she’s saying really happened.

“And I have another date on Friday.”

“Good for you.”

“Julie if it wasn’t for you I’ve never would have met him. Thank you.”

“Angie I…”

She hugged me again. “And thank you for not freaking out. I heard the voicemail and I know that J.D asked you not to bother me. I should thank him too for convincing you.”

“Yeah about that…” I cleared my throat. “Something happened.”

“With you and J.D?” She looked jumpy.

“Yes.”

“Did you two make out?”

“No.” Ah if only. Or not, what am i thinking?

“You were on a date?”

“Not exactly.” How should I explain this to her. “We kind of had a fight.”

“Why…Oh tell me it’s not because of the voicemail…”

Fuck. “It doesn’t matter anyway. We are okay now.”

My thoughts flied to this morning when he almost kiss me. I’m not sharing that. It's still processing in my head. Maybe it's just my imagination. He could have been trying to say something or..

“Thanks god. Anything else I missed out on?”

“Well Kayla is going on a date with Chris she just doesn’t know that yet.”

“What?”

“I kind of told Chris that she likes him too…”

“Too? You mean he likes her?”

“Oh yeah. A lot. And he told me he is going to ask her out.”

“You got me and her, a boyfriend. Should we return the favor?”

“Oh god, please don’t. I can’t stand another date with Mark or anybody else.”

“Hey guys guess what!” Kayla came running. “I just got asked on a date. By Chris.”

“Congratulations.” Me and Angie both hugged her and Angie mouthed the word matchmaker to me. Oh great. I just needed this nickname too. Like sugar, baby doll and sweeheart weren’t enough.

“Let’s go to class. I’ll tell you all about it.”

I walked out of the school when someone put an arm around me.

“Sugar, going home?”

I put his arm away.