Chapter 6: Amphioxus

As soon as Edana felt the van move beneath her, she quickly undid the ropes that were binding her hands and pulled the bag off her head.  Looking over at the driver, she realised he wasn’t even taking the time to check up on her.  Worst.  Kidnapper.  Ever!  Okay, she had to admit, she’d never really been kidnapped, or tried to kidnap anyone, before, but she was pretty sure you had to check regularly to make sure you captive wasn’t trying to escape.

She undid the loose knots around her feet and pulled her backpack – which her kidnapper had stupidly let her keep, like she knew he would – off her back.  She searched inside it quickly, keeping a close eye on her kidnapper, and pulled out a slab of chocolate, quietly munching while she kept mentally checking the area for Darren.

She had never learnt to mentally search over a vast area, never having the need to, so, unfortunately, Darren had to be near her before she picked up on him.

When she had finished her chocolate, she grabbed her cellphone, deciding to play games while she waited for this seemingly endless to journey to end.  She had allowed this to happen because she was bored and sought entertainment; this wasn’t very entertaining.

She had eaten about half of the sweets in her bag and played all the games on her phone before she finally ran out of things to do.  So, she decided to put some music on, to fill the deafening silence.  She entered her kidnapper’s mind and made sure that his brain never received the signals that his ears would send, causing him to be completely deaf to her music.  She then went through her music before settling on Fabulous from The High School Musical.

She knew that most people hated the sappy musical, but she couldn’t help but enjoy it.  She lived for her music and the music in the movie was pretty good.  She never understood how people could find Zack Efron good-looking, the cheesy romance behind the plot was mildly annoying and she could just bare the story line, but for the music, that was extremely catchy and great fun to dance to, she could deal with the rest.

After another half an hour – a total of three hours of driving – she could finally feel Darren nearing her.  She immediately thrust herself into his mind.  ‘You stupid idiot!’  She fumed.  ‘Excuse me?’  Came his amused reply.  ‘You know, if you’re going to have someone kidnap me, could at least get someone with more than half a brain cell to do it?!  And more importantly, someone who can actually drive?!  I’m bored out of my fucking mind here!’

She could feel his laughter and she suddenly realised he wasn’t alone.  She could sense four others, also vampyres, that were with him.  ‘Who’s with you?’  She asked.  ‘How do you know that I am with someone?’  He asked, shocked.  ‘I can sense them.  They’re like you – vampyres – your presences are strange, not like humans; and there isn’t just someone, there are four someone’s.  Who are they?’  She waited, her patience growing thinner by the second, for his reply.  ‘You will find out when you get here.’  Came his abrupt reply.

She decided that, even though she was running out of patience, she would try to control herself and wait until she arrived to find out who these people were; they had to be close otherwise Edana wouldn’t have been able to contact Darren.

Sure enough, not two minutes later, Edana could feel the van start to slow down and switched off her music, putting all her things back in her bag and zipping it up.  Subconsciously, she had already worked out that it was a V8, 6-gear Volks Wagen, with faulty brakes on the back wheels.

She opened her mind slightly, ignoring her kidnapper’s petty thoughts and found Darren and his four companions mentally discussing who should open the back door and retrieve her.  In the end, it was decided that her kidnapper should do it, and she felt the mental compulsion being put into his mind – he had of course been being controlled by Darren the entire time.  Before he could make it to the door though, Edana jumped up, slung her bag over her shoulder and climbed over to the front of the van and quickly slunk out the passenger door, which was facing away from the five vampyres and their human puppet.