Chapter 13: Back Where She Belongs

“Edana!!”

“Josh?”

“The one and only!!”  The happy go-go-lucky teenager (Edana would never be able to think of him as a centuries old man) yelled as he threw open her bedroom door.

The whole gang was there: Josh, Dantè, Philip, Darren, and even Christian.

“What are guys doing here?”  Edana asked, shocked.

“I invited them,” Lucian answered, appearing next to the bed.  He was secretly disappointed that she never got a fright when he did that, but it was lessened now that he knew why.  “I thought maybe they could drag you out of your pit of misery.”

“What did you say?”  Edana asked, her eyes wide as they snapped to meet Lucian’s questioning gaze.

“’I thought they could drag you out of your pit of misery’?”

“Drag…” Edana muttered.  “Boys, we’re going out!”  She suddenly snapped, grinning manically.

“Oh, no,” Dantè immediately refused, eyes wide in horror.

“Yeah, whenever you get that look in your eyes it means we’re going to suffer,” Josh added.

“No, no, don’t worry,” she told them distractedly, already rummaging through her wardrobe for something decent to wear.  “You don’t have to do anything but accompany me.”

She slammed the wardrobe door closed and changed into a pair of tight black denim short-shorts, a black sports bra, a baggy red top that had ‘Dracula’s Bride’ written in black font across the chest (obviously Lucian thought he had a sense of humour) and a pair of black converses.  She then grabbed a tight, strapless, crimson party dress that reached just above mid-thigh and a pair of black peep-toe heels and marched back out again.

“Nice top,” Philip smirked.

“Thanks,” Edana grinned at him.  “Lucian, what kind of cars you got?”

Much to Edana’s disgruntlement, ten minutes later, all seven of them were piled into an orange hummer.  Edana hated hummers; Edana hated the colour orange; needless to say, Edana was once again in a bad mood.

But her mood was once again lifted when she saw the familiar red neon sign.  Bonfire.  Lucius had barely stopped the car and Edana was already bounding out the passenger door and running towards the back entrance.

“Edana, where are you going?”  Lucian demanded as he appeared beside her, gripping her arm.  The others followed, but at a much slower pace.

“Work,” Edana replied, grinning, not even a bunch of egotistical vampyres could ruin her mood right now.  She was back home.

“You work here?”  Christian raised his brow sceptically.

“You don’t need to work, Edana.  I have more than enough money to pay for whatever your heart desires,” Lucian replied, frowning at her.

“I don’t work here for the money, stupid; I work here because I love it!  The fact that I make a killing is just a bonus,” Edana grinned stupidly.

“You love to work here?”  Christian asked again, still looking at Bonfire as if it would infect him if he got too close.

“Just come and see, guys!”  Edana enthused, dragging Lucian along as she continued her way to the back door.

“Edana, are you sure we’re heading the right way?  The entrance is back there,” Josh pointed out.

“Wrong club, Josh; and by the way, in there, you only refer to me as Belzy,” Belzy replied, throwing a conspiratorial wink over her shoulder.