Chapter 27: And The Most of Them, Lived Happily Ever After

[A.N.  Again, if you spot a mistake with the latin please let me know.  Thank you. :)]

Edana’s consciousness came slowly.  Unlike with most people, though, she didn’t start by twitching her finger.  Her mind reached out and touched the person closest to her – Dani.  The last thing she remembered was collapsing after the battle, but she searched his mind for what had happened after.

She had been brought to hospital.  Lucian had told them the truth about everything.  The doctors had informed her friends that she was completely brain-dead.  That she could never survive without life-support.  The machines had been switched off a month previously but somehow she had survived anyway.  Sometime between the last time the doctors checked her brain activity and when they turned off the life-support, her brain had started back up again, if only enough to keep her alive without help.  Dani was petrified that he would lose her, that he would lose her like he lost Jerry –

Edana’s eyes shot open.  Jerry.  Her heart clenched in pain at the thought of him.  He was dead.  What had they been doing there in the first place?  They thought she was out of town, so what possible reason did they have for showing up there?

Her heart monitor began beeping at a faster pace, mimicking her heart, and Dani shot up from where he was asleep hunched over her bed.

“Eddie!”  He yelled, leaning over to give her a tight hug.  Suddenly the room was a hive of activity.  Doctors and nurses cam e bustling in, shoving Dani out the door so they could do their tests.  It was the same kind of tests as the last time she had been in hospital, but she didn’t care.  She just wanted to get through them so she could see her friends.

When the doctors had finally acceded that Edana had made a full recovery, they allowed her friends in.  Dani was the first back through the door, grinning from ear to ear.  Tracey was right behind him, gripping his hand tightly in hers; though in comparison she seemed to be near tears.  Greg and Lacey were next, followed by Darren, Christian and Philip.

“Hey, guys!”  She croaked, grabbing a glass of water one of the doctors had left and drinking deeply.  “Long-time no see!”

“Yeah,” Dani punched her lightly in the shoulder, “Someone lied and said they were out of town.”

“She did it trying to protect us!”  Tracey scolded him.  “Don’t bug her!  She just got out of a very serious coma!”

“I’m fine, Trace, seriously!  Bug me all you want!”

“So is it true?”  Greg spoke up from the other side of her bed.

“Is what true?”

“That you can read minds and move things with your mind and stuff…”  He said awkwardly making her laugh.

“Yes.”  She moved her glass so it was hovering in mid-air, before reaching up and grabbing it once more.  “Oh, and Dan,” she added, “that grilled cheese sandwich you’re craving – turn right outside my door and take the first left, there’s an elevator about halfway down the corridor.  Take it three floors down.  The cafeteria is directly opposite the elevator.  Oh, and it’s six bucks fifty.”  She grinned.

Her friends stared in awe.

“That’s crazy!”  Lacey was the first to break the silence.

“No, that’s dangerous!”  Christian finally said.  “Over using your powers is what landed you in the coma in the first place!  You should take it easy!”