Chapter 20: Confessions

Edana woke up cold and in pain.  It took her awhile to get her bearings before she noticed she lying in the bed she shared with Lucian.  All her memories came rushing back at once and she immediately felt the urge to both punch Lucian and run away as fast as her legs would carry her so she would never have to see him again for the rest of her life.

He hadn’t listened when she had told him to get away from her.  He knew everything.  Sure, she had told Darren and the boys about that part of her life, but this was different.  They didn’t know how badly it had devastated her.  They didn’t know that no matter how hard she tried to hide it, she was miserable.  All those memories had reminded her of how much her powers – how much this prophecy – had cost her.  A part of her still dreamed that maybe her brother would track her down and that they would be reunited.  It was stupid, pathetic and unbelievably childish and she was humiliated that Lucian had seen that side of her.  She didn’t let anyone in because everyone that had ever been close to her had turned their back on her.  Dani and the gang didn’t count, they didn’t know her secret.

She fought the urge to curl into a ball and cry her heart out.  Instead, she got up, grabbing the side table to steady herself – her legs were still a bit shaky.  She dressed quickly and headed downstairs to the training room.

The training room was filled with an assortment of weapons but that’s not what she was after.  Weapons just don’t offer the relief good ol’ hand-to-hand combat does.  Mr Crio didn’t seem to be there at the moment though.  She looked around the large room, hoping a punching bag would somehow jump out at her.  It didn’t.  She sighed.  Now what?

Edana!

Oops, she had forgotten about Lucian.  He probably freaked out that she wasn’t still in bed.  Well, serves him right!  I don’t want to see him anyway.  Go away, I’m mad at you.  She replied.

Edana, where are you?  She could feel the relief in his voice.  She told herself not to care, to just ignore him.  Look, Edana, I’m sorry, okay?  I didn’t realise that would happen… And I know you asked me to leave, but I couldn’t just leave you there unprotected with an upcoming Gaunt attack looming over our heads.  I’m sorry that I couldn’t help – really, really, sorry – I just… His voice trailed off.  She wanted so badly not to care, she was mad at him, furious even, but the guilt in his voice unwittingly softened her heart.

I’m in the training room.  She sighed in defeat.  Well, this was going to be humiliating.

Within a matter of seconds the training room was filled with people.  Edana blinked, she was only expecting Lucian, and then he was in front of her.  Right next to him was Dr Orleanski.  She backed away.

“No, I’m fine!”  She glared at the approaching doctor.

“You might feel fine, but you were unconscious for more than fourteen hours, that’s a bad sign, especially in humans,” he explained.

“Maybe, but not for me.”

He raised a questioning brow, “oh?”

“If I over-use my power, like, if I overload myself, then it knocks me unconscious.  Like a system reboot or something,” she explained awkwardly, hoping she made the slightest bit of sense.

“This has happened before?”  The doctor demanded.

“Yes.”

“What happened?”  He asked enthusiastically.

Lucian stepped forward, “That is Edana’s business Orleanski, her personal life is not up for discussion.”

Edana felt a rush of both shame and gratitude.  It was bad enough that Lucian knew about her collapse after her fight with Casey, she didn’t need the whole vampire kingdom knowing too.