Chapter 16: The First Battle

“Lucian, take Edana to the stronghold!! Wait for me there!!”  Prince Gabriel yelled before disappearing.

Lucian immediately followed suit, but instead of going outside to join the fight, he headed for Edana.  He met her as she was leaving her room, sprinting down the stairs towards the fight.  Without even pausing to warn her, he grabbed her and headed for the attic.

The attic was made of two metre thick solid titanium walls.  You couldn’t enter of leave without a passcode, key and a fingerprint that had been stored in the strongholds database.  Lucian had all of these things.

Edana found herself within the stronghold before she could blink.

“What the hell?”  She demanded.

“Gaunts are attacking,” Lucian replied simply.

“So?”  She asked.  “Let me fight!  That’s what I’m here for isn’t it?”

“Yes, but this obviously is not your fight.  My father told me to bring you here and wait for him, so evidently he does not feel you are ready just yet,” Lucian explained.

“I’m not some helpless little girl!!”  Edana yelled.  “I don’t need to be locked up in a stronghold for my own protection!!”

“This is not some stupid little fight between humans at a local club, Edana!!”  Lucian roared back.  “These are vampyres!!  This is a war!!  People are dying!!  Damn it, Edana, vampyres are dying!!  You think you’re ready to take on things that strong?!  You’re miles away from being ready, you insolent, imprudent, pathetic little child!!”  He bellowed.

Outside, in the forest, Prince Gabriel and the twenty soldiers he brought with him to his new house were fighting almost thirty Gaunts faster than the human eye could see.

Five of Gabriel’s best warriors were each fighting two Gaunts while Gabriel himself was fighting was fighting four.  All the Inherits – True Inherits and Gaunts – were switching rapidly between different forms, all snapping and snarling at each other, all aiming to kill.  The few Classicals that were stupid enough to join were killed off easily, unable to defend themselves from the rabid animals surrounding them.

Gabriel, like most of them, was in wolf form fighting four Inherit Gaunts, a tiger, a lion, a raptor and coyote.

The lion had four long gashes on his hind quarters where Gabriel had scratched him, the coyotes shoulder was drenched in blood from where Gabriel had bit into him, the tiger, raptor and Gabriel were all still unharmed.  The lion came for Gabriel again, teeth bared and Gabriel snarled at the Gaunt before lashing out with his great paw, his claws caught the lions face, clawing his left eye right out and throwing him into a nearby tree.  The lion howled in pain as it crashed into the tree, snapping it in two.  He went unconscious immediately, his body back in human form as it began its healing process.

The coyote snarled in anger before charging at Gabriel from behind.  Gabriel spun around and clamped him jaws around the coyote’s neck, snapping its head off with one quick bite before casting the corpse aside.

He ran at the tiger that stood in between him and the lion’s body.  His head collided with the tiger’s shoulder before he ducked low, moving beneath it, before flipping the tiger over.  He ran for the tiger again, digging his claws into its stomach.  The tiger yelped in pain before slashing its claws at Gabriel’s shoulder, making him back away a few steps, out of the tiger’s reach.  The raptor continued to circle the pair.

Gabriel lifted his head to check on the raptor and in that instant both the raptor and tiger headed in for the kill.

He could see the sun glinting off the raptors talons, hear the pounding footsteps of the tiger, he knew he couldn’t fight both in front and above him at the same time so just before they reached him, he transformed into a mouse.