Chapter 15: Progress

Edana had been living with the royal family for a month.  One long, tiresome month.

“LUCIAN!!”  Edana roared, sprinting down the colossal staircase.

“Miss Edana, please,” Stephanie, Edana’s personal assistant, begged as she easily kept pace with the enraged girl.

“Stephanie, you’re great and all, but you’re a push-over, that idiot needs to be kept in line!”

“No he doesn’t!”  Stephanie insisted.  “He is the future Prince of the entire vampyric race; he can do what he wants!”

“No, he can’t, Stephanie.  He’s 3’153 years old; he must stop acting like a fifth grader.”

Lucian still hadn’t stopped trying to scare Edana.  His latest attempt, releasing thousands of spiders in their room while she was still asleep, was more than just exasperating, it was infuriating.

Her pure white hotpants and camisole that she had worn to bed the previous night was now stained red and brown, along with a lot of her skin as many spiders had gotten into their bed and been squashed when she rolled over.

Just because she wasn’t scared of spiders didn’t mean she enjoyed being covered in spider guts.

Edana charged into Prince Gabriel’s office, knowing Lucian would be there too.

“We have reports – Edana what are you…” Prince Gabriel was obviously in the middle of briefing his son on something important when Edana had rushed in.  He looked so shell-shocked at her appearance it would have been comical if she didn’t want to rip his son’s head off.

“Edana, is that…” Lucian trailed off, looking her over.

Spider guts?  Yeah,” she smiled sardonically.

“Not scary?”  He asked in a small voice.

“Scary?  No.  Disgusting?  Damn straight,” she ground out between clenched teeth.  “Lucian, what the hell is wrong with you?!”  She yelled.

“Miss Edana, we really should leave,” Stephanie whimpered, keeping her eyes downcast.

“No, Stephanie,” Prince Gabriel began.  “I would like to hear what my son has done to his bride this time.”

“He covered our room in spiders!!”  Edana hollered.  “Do you have any idea what it’s like to wake up to the sound of spiders being crunched beneath you?!”

As she spoke, a spider crawled out of her hair, making Stephanie squeak in fright.  Edana just casually flicked it off her shoulder.

“Lucian,” Prince Gabriel sighed.  “Why do insist on these childish pranks?”

“They’re not pranks, father.  I just wanted to see if I could scare Edana.”

“Edana cannot experience fear, Lucian.  We know this, there is no point in trying to test something that has been medically proven, and even if she had the ability to be scared, it is a cruel and unkind thing to do to your future wife.”

“Whatever,” Edana snapped; all this talk of brides and wives was just irritating her further.

She had yet to fall in love with Lucian, neither had she gotten any inclination to become a vampyre yet.  She turned on her heel and stormed back upstairs to go take a much needed shower.  She had to use one of the public bathrooms as her room was still covered in vampyres trying to get all the spiders out.

Lucian looked back at his father with a guilty expression on his face.

“This better be the last time, Lucian,” his father told him, giving him a stern look.

“I promise, father,” Lucian replied, shamefaced.

“So, as I was saying, we have received reports of Gaunt sightings near this area.”

“What does that mean, father?  Do they know of the prophecy?  Of Edana?”  He demanded.

“We don’t know, Lucian.  We have yet to capture any of the Gaunts that seem to be flocking to neighbouring cities, so we can’t know for sure.  But they must know something, this can’t be a coincidence,” he replied solemnly.  “How far is Edana in her training?”

“She can hold off Mr Crio indefinitely, with minimal injuries, in hand-to-hand combat.  She has mastered the long sword, short sword and dagger throwing.  She can successfully kill a Gaunt in hand-to-hand combat.  And she has tripled her mental capacity.  She can now completely control the mind of anyone under 1’000 years old, imprint almost irresistible suggestions in the older vampyres.  She can use her abilities at full capacity for over 23 hours and Edwin is even experimenting with the possibilities of telekinesis,” Lucian listed off.  He did not yet love Edana, but he had grown quite fond of her and he couldn’t help but feel of her accomplishments.

His knew favourite pastime was helping Edana to speed up her healing process.  He grinned at the thought.  In the beginning it became a daily ritual for Lucian to have to spend hours licking Edana’s latest bruises, but, as her skills were refined, he only had to spend a few minutes on her every few days.

“Brilliant, brilliant,’ Prince Gabriel cheered, a wide grin now adorning his face.  Telekinesis, that is marvellous.”

Suddenly, there was a calamitous crash from outside, causing both Lucian and Prince Gabriel to spring from their chairs in alarm, and one of the vampyres that helped defend their new mansion appeared beside Lucian.

“You highness,” he gasped.  “Gaunts.”