Chapter 26: The Beginning of the End

She sat in the cold, hard chair, her body still, her mind buzzing, lost, confused.  She looked down at the boy in her arms; he looked just as lost and vulnerable as she felt.  It had been the hardest on him.  Jeremy had been an equal friend to all of them, if not a bit closer to Tracy because of their time spent training together, but Edana had been Daniel's best friend since they were eight years old. 

Her eyes moved to her left, darting past the bed before her.  Greg sat, staring unblinkingly ahead.  She had never seen such a big man seem so small.  Lacey's hands lay wrapped around his in his lap.  The diamond ring on her finger was a symbol in stark contrast to the feelings smothering the occupants of the small room.

 Despite all her efforts, her gaze was drawn to the bed before her.  The ICU room was bare and devoid of colour.  They had tried to give the private room a more personal touch but they could have painted the walls a vivid pink and filled every inch of it with brightly coloured flowers and it wouldn't have made a difference.  The sight of Edana, every orifice filled with tubes, machines herded around her head, unmoving with skin the colour of death, was enough to suck the life out of any room.

 Her eyes continued on, to the small group on the other side of the bed.  Darren, Christian and Philip were riddled with guilt.  Guilt at turning her over to Lucian and his father, guilt at not knowing Josh and Dantè were traitors, guilt at not being able to protect Edana.  Lucian looked the worst of them all though.  He looked hardly better than Edana, sometimes worse.  His sunken face and pale skin were a testament to his sleepless nights and his cheeks were tinged green, as if he were about to be sick.  He had confessed everything, the day after the battle, in a whirlwind of guilt- and sorrow-fuelled sobs.  The truth of Edana's new friends, the truth of the prophecy and consequent battle, the truth of their engagement.

 It had been six months since that fateful night.  Six months of worry.  Six months with no change.  But today was the day.  The papers had been signed.

 Edana's eighteenth birthday had passed two months before.  They had been planning a big celebration; instead, they spent it watching her motionless body as it lay in a tiny hospital cot.  As her father was unreachable and no-one bothered to contact her mother, Lucian took over as next of kin.  No matter the reasons behind it, they were engaged, and that made the final decision up to him.  He had agreed.  Tracy didn't know whether to give him her hatred or her gratitude.

 The doctors couldn't explain the reason; no one had told them the truth.  They probably would have been locked away in the psych-ward if they had tried.  All they knew was that Edana was brain-dead.  There wasn't even a blip of cognitive function.  The machines were the only thing standing between Edana and death.  Without the machines...  Today was the day.  The papers had been signed.  Today, they would watch another friend die.

*****

The only sound that reached Daniels ears was the repetitive beeping of Edana's heart monitor.  It both relieved and disgusted him.  That beeping proved Edana was still alive, despite the fact she looked quite the opposite, but that beeping was also a constant reminder that it was nothing more than a pale imitation, a pathetic facade of life.  Doctors and nurses began filing into the room, casting sympathetic glances at the young friends.  Those looks angered him: he didn't want their sympathy, he wanted their help, damn it! 

Both groups got up as one and moved to stand at the foot of the bed, giving the hospital staff space to congregate at the head.  Tears made their way down Daniels face, collecting in the beard he had grown at Edana's bedside.  Tracy clung to the front of his shirt, turning slightly to muffle her sobs.  Lacey didn't even try to stifle her sobs.  Daniel felt angry again and wished she would just leave.  Who cared if she was Greg's fiancé?  She didn't even know Edana!  What the hell was she crying for?  What right did she have to even be here, let alone cry?!  He wished the stupid vampires would leave too.  They were the reason he was losing two friends in the space of six months; they had even less right to be here than Lacey did.  He felt the reassuring grip of Greg's hand on his shoulder and twisted his arm to return the favour.  The friends stood there, connected, in silence, waiting to watch the termination of one of their closest friend's life. 

Daniel could hear the doctors talking, but had no idea what they were saying.  It was all just background noise, useless static.  He loathed himself for thinking it, but he just wished it would be over already so he could go get drunk somewhere.  Not Bonfire.  He doubted he would ever go back to Bonfire again.  He had known Edana for about twelve years now, had been best friends for ten; his entire life was filled with her.  He wondered idly what he would be able to do again after this.  Nothing that reminded him of Edana that was for damn sure.  He wondered what possible corner of his life wouldn't remind him of Edana. 

He watched as the doctors flipped the switch and turned to Tracy as silent sobs racked his body, blocking out everything in the room.  He could hear the doctors mumbling again but just assumed they were discussing stupid things like death certificates or something, until he heard the word "impossible".  He couldn't fathom what on earth they were talking about while him and his friends were trying to grieve.  But then he heard it.  The sound shocked him to his core.  He was sure that moment would be etched into his brain for all eternity.  The switch on the life-support was off, but he turned to watch in awe as, despite every medical fact known to man, Edana failed to die.