Chapter 12: The Perfect Soldier

“Where did you even find this place?”  Edana asked, awe in her voice as she stared around the vast mansion.  It wasn’t as big as their castle back home but it was still a lot larger than any house Edana had ever seen in her neighbourhood.

“Yes, it was quite difficult to find this house on such short notice, but thankfully someone had thought to keep one large house away from society in your area,” Prince Gabriel stated thoughtfully, as if buying and moving into a mansion in the middle of nowhere, near an area you’ve never been to before, all in 12 hours was the most normal thing in the world.

“How far away are we exactly?”  Edana queried.

“It’s about 45 minutes away from your old house.  It’s a good thing you had a nature reserve near your home, Edana.”

Edana still couldn’t believe it.  It was too much of a coincidence that there would be a 5 story mansion, in a large nature reserve, just outside her neighbourhood.  She couldn’t bear to think about it anymore; it was hurting her brain.

Lucian led Edana upstairs to her, sorry, their, new room, after Prince Lucian reminded her of her first training lesson in half an hour.  Edana couldn’t believe Prince Gabriel actually expected her to share a bed with this imbecile.  Don’t think about it.  Edana reminded herself.

“Don’t even think about it, lover boy,” Edana growled, when she noticed Lucian staring at her jugular.

“Part of the deal was that I drink from you every day,” Lucian reminded her, that infuriating smirk on his face as his gaze returned to her eyes.

“That doesn’t mean you get to drink from my neck!”  Edana snarled.

“I wasn’t planning on drinking from your neck,” Lucian replied calmly.  “The jugular is a major artery and you, as a human, can’t heal yourself as rapidly as we can.  Your body will pump your blood out at too fast a rate and you will die.  The only vampyres who drink from the jugular are those who intend for their victims to die or those who are close to death and in need of immediate sustenance, and a lot of it.  Your wrist will do fine for my purposes.”

“You’re not drinking from my wrist either, dipshit,” Edana snapped.  “Or do you really think my friends won’t notice the marks that you’re sure to leave.”

“Well where do you suggest then?  The thigh maybe?”  The smirk was back.

“The thigh contains an artery,” Edana stated bluntly.

“Not wear I plan to bite,” he replied, a wicked glint in his eye.

“Not – happening,” she enunciated clearly, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Fine,” he sighed.  “If I promise not to leave a single mark behind, will you let me drink from you wrist?  It is the best place as I doubt you want me drinking from your chest or midriff and I don’t really want to drink from your back,” he explained.

“Fine,” she acquiesced, holding her left wrist out in front of her.

He caught her gaze as he carefully took her wrist in his hands, turning it palm up before lowering his head, his incisors extending, all the while, holding her gaze captive; hazel held captive by blue; a deer caught in headlights before the scene playing out before her.

It was such an instinctual thing by then, that Edana didn’t even have to think about blocking out the pain she felt when his fangs pierce her skin for it to happen.

Lucian’s eyes closed involuntarily from pleasure after the first gulp of her life giving fluid.  She was sweet, yet tangy.  She had a slightly bitter aftertaste, but it set the combination off perfectly.  His taste buds were going crazy within his mouth.  The metallic feel of the iron in her mouth ran across his teeth and tongue, over his gums.  He could even taste the high levels of red blood cells.  He gulped her blood down greedily, revelling in her unusual taste.  Suddenly he realised that there was also an unusually high level of adrenaline in her blood.  He released his hold immediately, gently lapping at the wound, before pulling away completely.