Chapter 25: This Means War

[A.N.  The latin might be wrong, so if you spot any mistakes, please excuse me and point them out so I can fix it.  Thank you :)]

The house shook with almighty crash, jolting Edana and Lucian from their sleep.  All Edana could hear was people shouting, and when she opened her mind to find out what was going on, people where shouting there too.  The house shook again.  They jumped up and headed straight for the door, not even bothering with modesty as they rushed out in their sleepwear: a pair of boxers for Lucian and a pair of silk shorts and tank-top for Edana.

The whole house was in an uproar.

‘What’s going on?’  She heard Lucian ask his father as he disappeared in a burst of vampyric speed.

‘Gaunts!’  Gabriel shouted back.  ‘It looks like this is it!’

This is it?  Edana thought, shocked.  The war had started and it seemed Edana had slept through the beginning.  How was that possible?  The house shook once more, and when she reached the front doors, she saw why.

The front lawn was a battlefield.  The fight was so fast and so ferocious she couldn’t even tell who the Gaunts were.  The house shook again as someone was thrown against the wall.  Now, that was power.  Edana thought.

She stood there for a few moments contemplating.  She couldn’t attack anyone until she knew for sure whose side they were on, and at the moment, she didn’t have a clue.

Lucian roared as he threw himself into battle.  He could spot the Gaunts from the smell of their blood and the first one he attacked was the one who had his jaws around his father’s neck; the one going in for the kill.  Lucian was quick to release his father but immediately became distracted by his own fight as Gaunts turned to attack him.  He was shifting from one animal form to another, killing Gaunt after Gaunt, but they seemed to just keep coming, as if two more replaced every one he slaughtered.

Edana watched from the steps as more and more Gaunts appeared, streaming out from behind the line of trees.  There were too many.  They were highly outnumbered.

A vampire jumped out of the throng and lunged at her but she knocked him back into the trees with a single thought.

There were too many, but the vampire she had just sent flying had given her an idea.  She jogged down the steps and entered the fray.  Vampires loyal to Gabriel knew who she was and they wouldn’t dare hurt her.  All she had to do was wait for the Gaunts to attack her.

Soon enough she was surrounded.  She managed to dodge their attacks, grateful that she had practiced sparring with multiple attackers, and eventually managed to land a few blows of her own.  She wasn’t able to kill any though.  Even with telekinesis, she didn’t have the strength to rip their heads off or their hearts out.  She wished she had had enough sense to fetch a sword from the armoury.  This was getting to be impossible.

She was able to knock a lot of the Gaunts unconscious though, and soon she was surrounded by motionless vampires.  She fought until sweat drenched her body, but still she could not stop.  The onslaught seemed never-ending!  She made sure to keep a light mind-touch with Lucian and Gabriel though, every now and then, when they were in dire straits, she would launch herself to their side to help.  She didn’t want either of them dying.  The fights always seemed to push her further and further away from them though, like the Gaunts were specifically trying to separate them.

She fought her way through hundreds of Gaunts as the sun crawled across the sky.  She hadn’t managed to kill a single one yet, but she hoped the others were making quick work of the bodies she left behind.  She sent them crashing into trees, crashing into each other, crashing into the house – which had gained more than a few holes.  She fought and fought never allowing herself to tire, using her adrenaline and iron will to keep her going.  Finally she had been back into a corner, into a cluster of trees that she couldn’t get through, and then Josh and Dantè were standing before her.