Chapter 1: Home Sweet Home

“Every time I speak

Wipe away these tears.

Living every day in fear,

Finding nothing but empty.

Wide awake and dreaming,

Is this what it seems?

Close my eyes forever,

I’ll –”

Edana lay on her stomach with her face stuffed in her pillows while she groped around for her phone.  She squinted at the caller ID.  Snake.  She hit the talk button and closed her eyes again as she put the phone to her ear.

“Hello?” Her voice sounded muffled from the pillows and layers off sleep.

“Hey Belzy!  Since it’s the first day of school, I decided to wake you up!”  She could easily hear the enthusiasm in his voice.

“Well sorry to burst your bubble, Snake, but I’m not in school any more, Dipshit!”  She replied, a small frown on her face.

“Oh, I know!  I just decided to phone at 6 a.m. to remind you how lucky you are that you don’t have to get up for school,” She could now clearly read the barely concealed laughter in his voice and could easily imagine the sparkle of amusement that was sure to be in his eyes.  It was not helping her temper.

“6 A.M.?!  SNAKE YOU HAD BETTER BE FUCKING JOKING!  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME YOU’RE PULLING MY LEG!  THAT IT’S ACTUALLY 10 A.M. AND YOU’RE JUST PHONING TO MAKE SURE I’M UP EARLY ENOUGH TO GET SOME WORK DONE BEFORE YOU PICK ME UP!  PLEASE DON’T TELL ME YOU WOKE ME AT 6 A.M. FOR NO GODAMN REASON!”

“Check you’re alarm clock, Babe, and it wasn’t for no reason!  So many people around the world are getting up for school now, and you don’t have to!  You should acknowledge the privilege!”

Edana lifted her head slightly and squinted at the bright red numbers on her alarm clock.

She took a deep breath and asked as calmly as she could, “Snake?”

“Yes, Belzy?”

“I FUCKING HATE YOU!”  She screamed and then threw her phone at the wall, where it smashed.  ‘Well there goes another phone’ she thought as she stuffed her face back in her pillows.

She smiled as she thought back to the day she told her sanctimonious teachers that she was dropping out of school to finish her last year of high school through a correspondence course.  Correspondence was similar to home schooling, except you didn’t have a private teacher, you taught yourself, and you still had to go to the school to write the formal end of year exams.

Her ‘friends’ had queried her sudden choice and were worried because she had suddenly withdrawn from the group she usually hung out with at school.  As far as they knew, she didn’t go anywhere on weekends yet always looked dead on her feet, especially on Mondays, when she should have been returning after a relaxing weekend at home.  At first everyone assumed she was joking when she said she was leaving the school, they all thought it was big talk, nothing more.  Then, when it got closer to the end of the year, she had started to acting weirdly and the teachers suddenly knew about it, they all guessed she had gone into some sort of depression and when they saw her laughing and joking on the rare occasion she spoke to someone, that she was just pretending to be okay.

Little did everyone know, that Edana had not been depressed at all, she had just been tired all the time because she didn’t have time to sleep at home, she stopped hanging out with her ‘friends’ because every moment that she wasn’t busy, she spent trying to sleep, and she was leaving school because she wanted more flexibility with her hours.