Chapter 23: Final Test

"Hey guys,” Greg waved as he joined his friends over at the bar of Bonfire.

 "Hey Greg, no Lacey tonight?”  Tracy teased him.

“She’s got a psych test tomorrow, so she’s staying home to study.”

“You finally get the balls to ask her out?”  Jerry laughed.

“You’re one to talk, Mister I’ve-been-in-love-with-Edana-for-years-and-never-asked-her-out,” Greg rolled his eyes.  “And for your information, we have a date on Friday.”  Tracey cheered.

Jerry scowled, “It’s different with Edana!”  He demanded.  “She’s never been interested in me!  Why make our friendship awkward over something so stupid, and besides, she’s engaged now.”

“I still don’t like it,” Dani suddenly spoke up.  “Her engagement, I mean.  She’s never kept secrets from us before, sure there are some things she’d rather keep quiet about but never something like this.  One minute she’s going on about how happy she is to be single, and next she’s engaged?  She’s always hated commitment!  For fuck sakes, she’s never even been in a relationship longer than a couple of months and now she’s been dating a guy for almost a year?  And Bonfire is her home!  She would never just leave!  She’s never had a problem with danger before and now she’s running?”  Dan had been in a foul mood ever since his last talk with Edana.

Tracey snuggled up to him, wrapping her arm around his shoulders.  “She said she was doing it to protect us, Dan.  You know how protective she is.  She would never do anything that would put us in harm’s way.”

“And I think we all know she is more than capable of taking care of herself,” Greg added, sipping on his beer.

“Yeah, maybe,” Dani conceded.  “I just have this really bad feeling…”

“You just miss her, dude.  I have the same feeling,” Jerry told him, patting him on the back.

*****

“Edana, I said that’s enough!”

“And I said that you don’t tell me what to do, Lucian.”

“You’ve been training non-stop for days!  You need a break!”  Lucian demanded, throwing her over his shoulder and carrying her out the room.

Before he could get out the room though, the door slammed shut in his face and Edana was thrown from his shoulders.  She landed perfectly on her feet, kicking him in the back and sending him flying into the door.

Lucian spun around in shock.  “You’re getting better, how did you do that?  You’re not that strong!”

“A little trick I thought of this morning,” Edana smirked.  “If I can use my telekinesis to move other things, why can’t I use it to move myself?  And, I might not be physically strong enough to take you down, but what if I add a bit of a telekinesis kick to my physical attacks?”

He raised an eyebrow in surprise.  “While those are both very good ideas, you still need to rest!”

“I don’t have time to rest, Lucian!  Josh and Dantè are the Gaunts’ informants!  They’re not in the manor anymore to track my progress, but they know from the park that I’m getting stronger, so they might just tell their friends that now is the best time to attack, before I get any stronger!  I have to train!  I have to get stronger so I’m ready for them!”

“Edana, I understand why you’re stressed, we all are, but you’ll be useless if you wear yourself out!  You need to rest!”  He reiterated.

“Fine,” Edana huffed in annoyance, “but you’re still annoying.”

Lucian laughed as she sent a book flying at him.

Four days later, after Edana had promised to rest regularly, Lucian agreed to spar with her – very much against his better judgement.

They were out in the courtyard, encircled by a crowd of fellow residents.  The only rules were that Lucian had to really try and Edana couldn’t use a mind-link to knock him unconscious or in any way paralyse him.

Lucian immediately transformed into a large blonde wolf and lunged, aiming straight for her throat.  Edana deflected, using her telekinesis to throw him aside.  He lunged again, but this time Edana dodged, aiming a kick for his side.  He quickly turned into a raptor but she was quick to use her mind to trap his wings at his side.  He turned into a wild dog and she kicked him in the muzzle.  He turned into a lion and she flipped herself right over him, grabbed his tail and, using telekinesis to increase her strength, swung him into the air and threw him into a nearby tree.  The blow forced him back into his human form, but he got up and went straight back at her.  His speed was incredible, but by keeping a slight mind-link, she was able to anticipate every move and dodge accordingly.

Throughout the duration of the entire fight, he never once landed a blow, while she landed many, and with her psychic-boost, her blows packed quite a punch.  The fight ended when she delivered a right hook that knocked him unconscious.

She was still grinning at her triumph when she heard the loud clapping coming from a single person among the crowd, which slowly parted to reveal the prince.

“You’re ready,” he grinned.