Chapter 8: A Royal Pain in The Ass

“Once more I'll say goodbye to you
Things happen, but we don't really know why
if it's supposed to be like this
why do most of us ignore the chance to miss
oh yeah
Torn apart at the seams of my dreams turn to tears
I'm not feeling the situation
Run away try to find that safe place you can hide
It's the best place to be when you're feeling like
Me!  Me
Yeah!  Yeah
All these things I hate revolve around me!  Me
Yeah!  Yeah
Just back off before i snap
Once more you tell those lies to me
Why can't you just be straight up with honesty, honesty, honesty
When you say those things –”

“Why must we listen to this crap?”  Christian demanded.

“Because we’ve travelled for two days in silence, first on the plane, then on the train, now that we’re in a car, I want music,” Edana explained.

“And why should we listen to you, exactly?  We were all perfectly happy with the silence,” Christian continued to fume.  He had been in a bad mood since they got on the aeroplane.  “Thank you,” he suddenly added.

“For what?”  Josh asked, looking at him curiously.

“For turning the music off,” Christian replied like it was obvious.

There was silence for a few seconds, before Josh and Dantè burst out laughing; Philip raised an eyebrow at Edana, who just smirked in return.

“The music is still playing, Christian,” Darren told him, exasperated.

“I don’t hear anything,” Christian replied, confused.

“Edana’s in your head, Christian.  She’s making it so that you can’t hear it,” Philip explained.

Christian glared at Edana and she gave him cheeky grin in return.

“At least it’s quiet now,” Christian grumbled.

*****

After ten hours of driving, everyone, except Edana, was in a foul mood.  Even with the music blaring, Edana got bored with her dull co-passengers quickly; so, to entertain herself, she annoyed the hell out of everyone else.

Darren glared at her as they rounded another corner in, what Edana considered to be, the middle of nowhere; Edana stuck her tongue out at Darren in response.

“You’re such a child,” Christian muttered, from the front-passenger seat.

“Rather a child than a bunch of humourless, old, fuddy-duddies,” she replied, sticking her nose in the air.  She couldn’t believe how obtuse they were to anything funny.

“Just because we don’t laugh when the driver suddenly goes blind, making us nearly crash into a tree, doesn’t mean, we’re ‘humourless, old, fuddy-duddies’,” Philip ground out between clenched teeth.

“Humph,” was Edana’s only response.  She thought it was funny; they were just a bunch of scaredy-cats.

As they turned yet another corner, Edana saw what could only be described as a castle.  How cliché that vampyres would live in a huge, stone castle out in the middle of nowhere.  She thought.

When they pulled up outside the castle, they all climbed out and headed for the massive front door.  It was a dark mahogany, covered in intricate designs and almost three times as big as Edana.  There were brass knockers on each of the doors, shaped in the form of teardrops.  Or blood drops.  Edana thought wryly.  Darren grabbed one of the knockers and banged it three times on the heavy doors, causing a deep thumping sound to echo around them.