Chapter 7: Can't We All Just Get Along?

Edana packed her makeshift bed away while Darren and Dantè helped Christian to his room.

“So anybody here got a car?”  Edana asked, looking at Josh.

“You’re weird,” he stated, raising an eyebrow.

“Old news; car?”  She reminded.

“Yeah, Dantè, why?”

“What kind of car?”

“A 2008 Lotus Elise, why?” he repeated

“Crappy car, but it’ll do,” she stated before walking to the garage.  Josh just shook his head and went to check up on Christian.

*****

“She’s skipping Bonfire again?”  Dan asked sceptically, his cellphone held up to his ear.

“That’s what she said.  Said she’s ‘busy’,” Jerry’s voice came through the speaker.

“With what?”

“Stuff.”

“Don’t fuck around with me Jerry!”  Dan shouted, throwing his legs out of bed.

“I’m not, Dan!  That’s what she said!  I asked what she was busy with, she said ‘stuff’!”

Dan sighed, this was completely unlike Edana.  Sure, she could be reckless and impulsive but she never purposefully avoided telling her friends what was going on, she usually even invited them to join in.

“I’ll give her a call, see what I can find out and maybe go ‘round her house.”

“Thanks, Dan.  Chat later,” he said before ending the call.

Dan shook the-naked-blonde-girl-whose-name-he-couldn’t-remembers shoulder.

“You gotta go,” he told her when she opened her eyes.

“Ahw, baby, no good-morning-sex?”  She asked him seductively.

“Usually I’d take you up on that offer, but I’ve got shit to deal with, so move.”

“You could be nicer about it you know,” she pouted.

“I was nice last night.  Now, I’m not horny and have shit to do, so move your fucking arse!”  She huffed and left.

Dan dialled Edana’s number.

“What’s up, Dan?”

“Just finished the I’m-a-dickhead-so-don’t-call-me-again routine, you?”  Edana laughed.

“Busy fiddling with the engine of a 2008 Lotus Elise.”

“Where did you find a 2008 Lotus Elise to fiddle on?”  He asked suspiciously.

“You know, around,” she answered ambiguously.

“Don’t fuck with me, Ed!  What’s going on?”  He demanded.  It was times like these that Edana thanked the gods, or faeries, or whatever else was out there that she was a pro at thinking on her feet.  As much as she hated to do it to her friends, especially Dani, it was time to lie through her teeth.  She sighed dramatically.

“Okay, I’m…”  Darren suddenly appeared in the garage, so she threw up a mental barrier to stop him getting near her and keep him quiet and he banged his fists on the invisible barrier in frustration and anger.  “…I’m kind of…seeing someone.”

Darren froze, staring at her in shock; there was silence on the other end.

“Dan?”

“How long?”