chapter thirty one.

⚠️ TW: throwing up!!!!

February 1, 2021.

"Sh!"

"Don't shush me!"

"Mommy, you are being loud."

"No, I'm not!"

"Let me sing happy birdday to daddy!"

I open my eyes and chuckle lightly, my throat dry from sleep. "What're you two bickering about?"

"Daddy!" Ivy gasps, snapping her head over to me. "It's your birthday!"

"Is it?" I fake shock, pulling Ivy into bed with me. "I had no idea!"

"You're seven now!" Ivy squeaks, "Older than me and mommy!"

"Twenty seven, Ives." Rory chuckles lightly, correcting her.

I look over at her and my face falls. She seems paler than usual and her eyes are sunken in.

"Are you okay?" I ask, running a hand through Ivy's hair.

"M' fine." She nods, smiling softly. I bite my lip and decide not to pressure her any further.

"Can I sing birdday to you now?" Ivy says, causing me to snap my head back over to her.

I smile and nod. "Knock 'em out little leaf!"

"Happy birdday to you! Happy birdday to you! Happy birdday daddy, happy birdday love you!"

Ivy throws her hands up in the air as she finishes her rendition of Happy Birthday and I can't help it as tears form in my eyes.

"Oh no." Ivy frowns, cupping my face in her hands, "Daddy don't cry. Be happy, not sad!"

"I'm not sad, baby." I sniffle, chuckling lightly. "M' very happy."

"Oh." Ivy giggles, "You like my song then?"

"I love it." I smile, hugging her tightly. "Best birthday song ever."

"Wrote it meself." Ivy says proudly, tapping her chest.

"Ives, why don't you go set the table for daddy's birthday breakfast?" Rory hums. Ivy gasps and hops off the bed, running out of our room without saying another word.

"Happy birthday." Rory smiles softly, kneeling on the bed and placing a sweet kiss on my lips as she hovers over me.

"Thank you baby." I smile, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, "You sure you're feeling okay?"

Rory rolls her eyes, patting my thigh, "I'm fine, really. Now up you get, birthday boy! We've got a long day ahead of us."

I groan and toss the covers off of me as best as I can. "Why can't we just lay in bed all day and watch rom-coms?"