9

Your POV

I crumpled up the paper I was working on and tossed it in the garbage next to my desk.

I was annoyed.

That was an understatement. I was extremely frustrated.

I was trying to make some progress on my art final but I didn't like any of the ideas I had come up with for the scene inside of the eye. Everything I came up with was so sad and gloomy and I didn't like it.

I put my head down on my desk, not bothering to lift it when I heard the door open and someone walk in.

"Hey?" Lauren spoke as she rested a hand on my back. "Are you okay?"

I didn't move as she rubbed circles in my back, but my skin felt like it was on fire everywhere she touched. I let out a small breath that I didn't realize I was holding, relaxing under her touch.

"No," I spoke, finally answering her question. "I hate school."

Lauren laughed gently as she put her bag down and turned my chair to face her. We were now face to face and I could see her looking over me.

I felt slightly self conscious with her eyes on me because I looked like a mess. I squirmed under her gaze and she rested a hand on my knee to reassure me that it was okay.

"I know. I also hate school, but we're almost done for the semester," she spoke.

I nodded at her words and she turned her attention to the array of sketches on my desk.

"I wonder what final this is," she joked with a laugh.

"Shut up," I smacked her shoulder gently as I turned back to my desk.

"Can I be honest?" Lauren asked.

I nodded and motioned for her to continue.

"The eye reflection in an amazing idea. I just think that it might be a good idea to have her looking at something a little... happier," she spoke carefully. "You could also give her some emotion. Add an eyebrow or something to show she's in distress, but I like the happy idea more."

Lauren was right. My art had been depressing for a month now. Maybe I needed to switch it up.

I thought about it for a second before turning to look at her again. She was already looking at me and as soon as our eyes connected I knew exactly what I needed to do.

"You're right," I spoke, making her smile.

"I usually am," she joked, laughing when I rolled my eyes and pushed her gently.

"Whatever. Thanks. Now stop distracting me so I can get this done," I feigned seriousness.

Lauren laughed and saluted me playfully before going to her side of the room.

I knew to get this done I'd have to channel all my feelings for the other girl into it, lucky for me that would be easy with how fast they were growing every day.

Maybe funneling them all into this project would end up being a good thing and I could finally move past my crush on the girl.