4

Your POV

I pushed open the door of the local coffee shop, the smell of coffee and pastries immediately hitting me as I walked in.

"Y/n!" I heard Normani chime from behind the counter. "Give me a second to finish up this order and then we can talk."

I nodded and sat at an empty table to wait for Normani. They were open, but they weren't too busy so I knew it wouldn't be long.

As soon as she handed the customer their coffee she called out to a brown haired boy.

"Shawn! I'm taking my break now. We're not busy so you should be able to handle it yourself," she told him as she removed her apron and grabbed a stack of papers and a pen.

"What's that for?" He asked her, pointing at the papers.

"Job application for my friend over there," she pointed in my direction.

"Oh, she's pretty," he said, making me blush a little.

I'm gay, but that didn't mean compliments didn't fluster me.

"Don't even think about it, Mendes," Normani warned, making the boy put his hands up as if he was surrendering.

"Hey," she greeted as she sat next to me. "Okay, these papers are just a normal application. Everybody has to fill these out. It's just so we have everything on file."

She pushed the papers in front of me and I picked up the pen and began filling them out.

"How long until I hear back after I fill all of this out?" I asked Normani.

"Not entirely sure. We're kind of in desperate need of extra help so if I had to guess-"

She stopped talking and straightened up a little when a man walked in.

"Who's that?" I asked when I noticed he was walking toward us.

"Hey, Normani," he greeted her with a smile. "Is this the new trainee?"

"Well, she will be if you give her the job," Normani answered, making me realize who I was sitting in front of.

"We need the help and you said you know her personally, right?" The man asked my dark skinned friend who immediately nodded.

"Then as soon as she fills these out and you file them she starts training. I don't care if it's you or Mendes, but since she's your friend I assume you'll want to be the one to train her."

My heart was pounding the longer they talked. I literally just got a job in less than five minutes. I don't know how I would ever repay Normani for this.

"I guess I should formally introduce myself," the man laughed, sticking his hand out for me to shake. "My name is Daniel. I own this place. In other words, I'm your boss."

"I'm Y/n. It's great to meet you and thank you for hiring me," I told him as I shook his hand.

He was pretty tall and looked to be around thirty or so.

"I've got to run, but I wanted to come in and make sure Mendes hadn't burned the place down since he opened on his own this morning," he said with a laugh.

"I heard that," Shawn exclaimed from behind the counter.

"Get her an apron from the back and I'll come by with her name tag at some point this week. Welcome to the team, Y/n," Daniel told me before waving goodbye and leaving.

"Well, I guess you got the job," Normani laughed. "Fill out those papers and I'll file them when you're done."

She stood up and put her apron back on as a few people walked in and Shawn motioned for her to come help him.

I filled out the paperwork carefully, making sure I didn't screw anything up. As soon as I was done Normani took them to the back and reappeared with a brown apron.

"Put this on and I'll show you the basics," Normani said, tossing me the apron.

"Before you steal her away let me introduce myself," Shawn said, stepping in front of me.

"Hey, I'm Shawn," he said with a bright smile, shaking my hand gently.

"I'm Y/n. It's nice to meet you," I told him before putting the apron on.

"Do you go to Miami U?" He asked me, looking at the logo on my shirt before it disappeared under my apron.

"I do. I'm a freshman. You?" I asked the boy as Normani listened to our conversation.

"Yea, I'm a sophomore," he told me as he leaned against the counter, accidentally knocking over a cup of water.

"Smooth, Mendes," Normani laughed as water spilled on the floor. "Have fun cleaning that up. C'mon, Y/n."

I sent the boy an apologetic smile as I followed Normani around for her to show me where everything was.

Hopefully, this job wouldn't be too bad.